Click here if you are having website access problems ×

What is the first sign of engine oil pressure failure ?

Birkin S3 ZA.

Probably something vague like the engine warning light comes on! 😔

At a guess, the first thing is probably the coolant temp rising followed by cam/lifter rattle, bottom end knock and then your engine leaving the car in pieces via the block/sump *tongue*

Quoting Roger King: 
What a stupid question!

The answer could be any number of things from rising water temperature to loss of power depending on the circumstances and the cause of the fault.

Indeed. Maybe the answer will prove to be as stupid.

I'm always suspicious when an examiner poses a question containing a phrase like "engine oil pressure failure", where three out of the four nouns are modifiers. That's a recipe for ambiguity. In the technical authoring world, that usage is often described as "noun modifier pile-up syndrome". *smile*

JV

I'll say low oil level on the dipstick, noisy oil pump or difficulty starting engine/appearance of flat battery.

Bob

Well SM25 is the closest 😶‍🌫️

The answer was bearing failure/ engine knock, out of 25 students none of us got it right.

There reasoning was the white metal coating is designed to melt with oil starvation leading to engine knock, then the crank can be saved and the bearings replaced.

I think the person who wrote the question spent his days casting and scraping white metal bearings, the question and answer would then be relevant then but not in 1977.

Chris *wavey*

Quoting Birkin S3 ZA.: 
I think the person who wrote the question spent his days casting and scraping white metal bearings, the question and answer would then be relevant then but not in 1977
Was the question set in 1977, then? Is that when you sat the exam?

JV

Quoting Birkin S3 ZA.: 
Well SM25 is the closest 😶‍🌫️

The answer was bearing failure/ engine knock, out of 25 students none of us got it right.

There reasoning was the white metal coating is designed to melt with oil starvation leading to engine knock, then the crank can be saved and the bearings replaced.

I think the person who wrote the question spent his days casting and scraping white metal bearings, the question and answer would then be relevant then but not in 1977.

Chris *wavey*

The first sign is bearing failure. Brilliant - that's useful. Full engine rebuild / replacement required. I would have thought low oil level or leaking oil would have been a better *FIRST* sign.

Jez