Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Time for new tyres

robn

Morning all!

Been away from the "community" of blatchat and Caterham generally for a while, my trusty K-series R300 on 15" wheels definitely requires new rubber, been happy with the standard Cr500's but wondered if things have moved on? any good recommendations for general road use and the occasional track day?

thanks in advance

so Toyos then..... not a brand I'm familiar with but give the same grip / wear etc as Cr500's?

all advice welcome, I just don't want to spend on something not as good.

thanks in advance

Toyos:

T1R is a normal road tyre for tin tops in regards to compound and mileage

R888 is a road legal track day tyre on the road stick like sh1t to the proverbial but needs respect on damp or with standing water

R1R has a very slightly harder compound than the R88 but has wet weather capability - makes it a great 7 tyre if your on 15" but not currently available in 13"

According to myTyres just now for 195/50 R15

T1R - £42

R1R - £65 (!)

888 - £114

Got T1Rs myself at the moment, seem pretty good for the money, probably going to give R1R a whirl next, especially seeing has they seem to have dropped in price recently!

Edited by - Dr Slotter on 7 May 2014 22:18:38

Should have read BudJuggler's post more carefully - I've just gone back to T1Rs from R1Rs. I drive my 7 all the year round regardless of the weather: LE0 is an SV with 140 bhp 1.8 K series engine running on 205 45 ZR16s and I've found the T1Rs last longer, whilst there seems to be very little difference in the dry or wet weather performance, and they are cheaper. The R1Rs might have the edge in very wet conditions, but not by much.

Anton,

Have to say I'm very surprised by that? Are you sure you've carried out exhaustive testing on roundabouts, as I find it hard to believe that the dry weather grip on T1Rs is as good as R1Rs!

Oz.

I have a nice big one (roundabout, that is 😬) on my trip home from work, so test it every evening........the T1Rs squeal whilst the R1Rs don't (maybe I'm not driving fast enough?) but if this is a good test the difference in grip doesn't seem to be that great.

I switched to T1R's 3 years ago and think they are great. Have used them in all weathers and on several wet and dry track days and they have plenty of grip and still loads of tread left.

I know some people don't think they are a suitable tyre for a Caterham but I would recommend them.

I just received my new set od Dunlop Direzza 03G H1 15" semi slicks today, I use them for road and racing.

They have performed very well in some tyre shoot out tests, I think there quite expensive in some places.

I paid 290 pounds for a set of four 15" x 195 x 55

Chris.