Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Brands Hatch Track Evening

Merrick Linnett

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quoting Neal: 
I found that track speeds, doors off with a windscreen causes far too much buffeting as the air comes round the side of the screen and smacks you in the face, which is unpleasant even with a helmet on. I always run doors on for that reason. Give it a go though!

The guys with aeroscreens tend to run no doors or half doors as far as I can tell.

I think this varies with car and driver. I've got an lowered floor SV and have done TDs with a screen/no doors. You do get buffeted but I have never really considered it a problem/distraction.

Quoting SM25T: 
Caution ..... if travelling on A20 through West Kingsdown ...... they have surface dressed part of the road from WK towards Wrotham Hill. When I say dressed ... I mean tipped tonnes of loose stones across the road and left it unrolled.

Huge dust cloud hanging over it now.

Take care !

Update ..... they have swept most of the stones up this morning.

Quoting Dr Slotter: 

I think this varies with car and driver. I've got an lowered floor SV and have done TDs with a screen/no doors. You do get buffeted but I have never really considered it a problem/distraction.

I'm sure that's right. I've had the same issue with both 7s I've owned (both narrow bodied, standard floors, tillets)

What a great evening, my first Caterham track experience and I had a great time.

Reset odometer before going on track and recorded just under 100 miles distance !

Thanks to organisers and other participants for a special evening.

Regards Chris 😬

Great evening blasting round only slightly marred by Brands being overly noise sensitive on the drive by sound check to the right hand exit duratec powered cars. Strange how all the cars black flagged were the same ! A small deflector jubilee clipped in place and a judicious bit of short shifting soon sorted the tricky noise metres.

Other than that, perfect weather, perfect track manners and no stoppages *cool*

Great to meet you Merrick and a few others who were schooled in the art of the coke can baffle !

Roll on the next one.

Another noise black flag though as mine was 102 dB static and Craig standing on the pit wall said his ears hurt as I went past I think I need to find a way to repack my non-repackable silencer. Changing at 4000 rpm was challenging as it usually meant mid-corner. Thanks to Craig for the heat shields which I used as a exhaust baffle and especially to Merrick for the advice on the right words to use to the man with the sound meter *wink*

Oh the ignominy of being black flagged, luckily not for my crap driving though *redface*

I had been thinking mine was due for repacking so had the Acoustafil with me. I managed to complete the repacking in about half an hour and was very grateful for the help I received. I must remember to pack better gloves next time as working on a hot exhaust is not pleasant.

Anyway newly filled can got me down to 104db and hopefully as the Acoustafil expands it will drop a bit more. Also knowing where the noise meters are located helps *smile*

Thanks to Merrick for a fantastic evening.

Excellent evening, apart from the black flag at the beginning but thanks to the Chris's, managed to use a coke can to drop the Db a bit. Managed to adjust the suspension enough to get the car to behave and left pretty happy.

Knowing where the noise meters were was really helpful, pity some of us had to short shift in areas but small price to pay for a great session. Thanks Merrick!

Just to re-iterate all the other comments, a great evening, good weather and most of the time almost no traffic, got a run of about 10 laps that felt like I was the only car on the track. First foray onto the grass and apologies for relocating the first clearways apex cone.

See you in September for the GP day.

Jim, how did you get on track with 104DB? I was black flagged for tripping the noise meters, which i thought were set to 98DB drive by. I was on the limit of 101DB static.

Must try some acoustafil myself.

Cheers

Mike

What a fantastic first track day for Mrs Leebert and I 😬

A really good bunch both organisers and on track. Thanks to all who patiently waited behind us *thumbup*

New rear tyres needed now *cool*

What a great evening!

Was great to meet Jimh and compare CSR's - I'm amazed that I wasn't black flagged (unless I just didn't see it?), I probably wasn't trying hard enough *redface*

Lovely bunch of guys in the garage with me, really enjoyed our passenger rides in each others cars (DVA k-series, Fireblade and mine). And after, a look round a special Morgan Aero 8 *thumbup*

The weather was great, the driving standards were excellent and a nice little run over to the Plough afterwards for cake - what more could you ask for?

Thanks Merrick for organising yet another great Track day and sorting the weather out once again *thumbup*

Sorry to hear that so many had issues the Duratech's noise. My humble K series was 101DB static last night but 96Db static at Cadwell 2 weeks ago *confused* so I'm not quite sure what's going on there 🤔

Thanks too, Ian B for the slice of B'day Cake at your 20th Anniversary celebration at the Plough afterwards. I nice conclusion to a superb afternoon *biggrin*

A great evening for my first track day. It makes you realise just what our cars are capable of - which is far more than me 😬

Thanks Merrick for organising, thanks to the faster cars for not making me feel too slow, and thanks to the slower cars I was able to overtake!

Quoting makingff: 
What a great evening!

Lovely bunch of guys in the garage with me, really enjoyed our passenger rides in each others cars (DVA k-series, Fireblade and mine).

The weather was great, the driving standards were excellent

Couldn't agree more, really good fun, and great to meet everyone and experience that beast of a CSR and the superb Fireblade.

Thanks Merrick for organising an excellent track evening. Also thanks to MSV and the marshalls - I thought it was very well-run and friendly from their end too.

PS - I think the noise meters on the static test at least were over-reading. I normally read around 90db (quiet Raceco system) but was 97 last night.

I took videos of our outings but unfortunately the camera was pointing a bit too low so there is not much track to see in front of the car ☹️

On the plus side, you do the clocks and see how fast we went around the corners which was a surprise to me *smile*

I think it wise to now pack some sort of baffle or diffuser for the exhaust for a duratec car. Most uk circuits are right handed and therefore the drive by noise metres are going to be the majority of the time on the right handside i.e. on the inside of the circuit.

Always found it strange that passing a static test allows you access to the circuit but a drive by test gets you banned. How are you supposed to know how loud your car is under proper load at whatever distance you happen to be from a hidden (cough cough) noise meter until you are shown the nasty black ?