Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tools

Hi

I am very excited that my Supersport R is due to arrive in March. I am building it. Can anyone advise on what is the best tool kit to buy for the build. Many thanks Will

Welcome Will *wavey* It's a great feeling when that truck arrives with all your boxes of goodies 😬

Tools - the Halfords set has most things you're every going to need in it (this one) and is often on special offer - like at the moment, £150 for that set and a big set of spanners.

The only other things you'll need are a riveter, a 42mm socket, a range of torque wrenches (try to borrow the one for the hub nuts, you'll only need it for two nuts!), some files, taps and dies might be useful seeing another thread about tight threads, and, well, you could really go to two if you like!

Oh, and a jack and axle stands, rent or borrow the engine crane, and borrow or buy an ezibleed. That should do it *wink*

Hi Matthew yes I run BoTb....always a dream to have a caterham and we are also going to use it for Botb clients as well.

John I am in Fulham and am sure will need help!

Hi Martin, Yes Supersport R is most popular followed by 620 R, R500 and then regular Supersport. We don't offer every model sadly...we would if i had my way!

Welcome William

I think I probably own a tiny bit of your car given my monthly 'investments' on your site 😬. Still, when I finally win the 620R, it'll be fun to meet you!

Good luck with the build.

Simon

Edited by - makingff on 6 Feb 2014 22:18:39

Thanks Simon. Lifelong dream to build a Caterham so I am very excited - just hoping my mechanic skills will match my enthusiasm! Really hope you get that 620R soon - what a car. Whenever i watch that Autocar video review it makes me smile!

• 3 weeks later...

I always swear by this one (sorry, I don't know how to do a link:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_991745_langId_-1_categoryId_165572

They are often on sale for £100, which means £91 after the L7C discount. It has the advantage of enabling you to put it in the boot of the car when you go out too. It has virtually everything you will need. You do need to add a torque wrench and I upgraded the spanners with Halfords professional ring spanners, but that isn't essential as everything in the tool box is very high quality. Don't forget nitrile gloves, gaffer tape and cable ties - you will need them at some point!