Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Wiper Blades

Hi everyone,

I've found the current wipers supplied by Caterham to be very poor quality and dangerous in heavy rain. Can't imagine using them on the track in rain.

Tried fitting new ones but they don't improve things.

It's a shame as the ones originally fitted to the car when new in 2002 were perfect, Trico I think but sadly no longer available.

I appreciate a lot of owners don't use their 7 in the rain.

Can anybody help with a source of alternative wipers please?

Thanks,

Peter.

Following something I read on here I tried Rain-X and have been amazed at the results. I did a wet track day at Castel Combe and hardly needed the wipers. I have also found it excellent on the road and now seldom use the wipers at all. It does seem to work best if you keep the speed up though.

Thanks for the advice, I've used Rain X and whilst it's very good, my point is that these are high performance cars which should be fitted with wipers that are adequate. They used to be fitted with really good ones and now they have very cheap very poor quality ones fitted.

I guess nobody has found a suitable alternative wiper blade.

I've contacted Caterham again on safety grounds and I'll let you know if I get anywhere. TADTS.

Thanks anyway,

Peter.

Intermittent doesn't exist on my 2002 car.

I now have a new flick switch on the dash ..... but not sorted the connection yet. Tried my theory by connecting it to the switched supply cable from wiper switch to motor but popped the fuse. I recall a thread somewhere that advised connections on motor.

Anyone got an easy guide to where to connect the momentary 12V supply for a single wipe ?

I have seen a few Caterhams fitted with the 8" wiper blades used on Westfields (normal tin top type of wiper) - Not sure if any mods to the wiper arm were made.

Also believe that there were instructions on adapting a common or garden wiper blade in the L7C Hints and Tips many years ago.

Intermittent Ha Luxury, mine don't even self park, need to remember to switch off just in the correct orientation 😬 but actual they do clear the rain pretty well even without Rain X, although a set on the inside could also be useful sometimes, I suppose they could be the original set fitted though *confused*

Tim

• Area Representative

Here's a rough sketch of my single wipe button. The top 4 connections on the left are the existing switch and the bottom two are for the momentary push button switch to activate the single wipe function. The relay is a standard automotive changeover type.

If you want any more details, just ask.

Thanks for taking the time to draw that. Do you know the wire colours for the wires onto the existing switch.

Really looking forward to being able to use this spring-loaded flasher switch for a single wipe ....... I hate the feeling when switching the rocker switch on then off for a single wipe. I get the feeling it will seize one day.

• Area Representative

Quoting Ray Pearce: 
Much clearer, thanks Ian.

I imagine that, with the intermittent module fitted, this would serve to turn the intermittent mode on and off?

Hi Ray,

I don't know how the intermittent module is fitted or operates, so I can't comment. Do you have a circuit diagram showing how it's installed in the car?

Previous thread here which gives a part number for a wiper control, and me asking a similar question a few year back here which has some very useful information re intermittent wipe installation.

I still haven't got around to doing this yet *redface* so still use the method recommended by AntonyH.