Click here if you are having website access problems ×

I'm feeling emotional!

4ster

A big thanks to everyone yesterday for marking my sprinting retirement with the, totally unexpected, kind words, champagne and big cheer. It was a fantastic gesture and it reflects what I have experienced in my 7 years of competing – a great club with absolutely brilliant people. I will miss you all. ☹️

The long drive home was very emotional as I reflected on a wonderful period of my life competing against people who have become friends, as well as rivals. I started by just wanting to “have a go at motorsport before it’s too late” and ended up being faster than I thought possible, driving a car that I just love and getting so much more than I expected out of the experience.

Emotions have ranged from fear, sadness, apprehension, anger (at myself), surprise, disappointment, elation – but the dominant memory will be of pleasure in being amongst enthusiastic, witty and, above all, friendly people during the summer weekends.

I want to thank everyone, from all classes, that rushed to help when things went wrong (and they certainly did in the early days 😳) but I particularly want to mention both Comp. Secs that have presided during my time.

Simon and Mark have been a great inspiration and I am absolutely in awe of their dedication, competence and enthusiasm in what I am sure can be a difficult role at times.

Mark was exceptionally helpful when I first started – with selfless assistance, advice and, of course, his inimitable banter. He wasn’t a particularly good carer though, letting me & Mike drink far too much on the nights before events!

Best of luck to everyone, especially in Class 4 – you can’t let TM run away with it so just make sure you give him a hard time *biggrin* I will be watching the results on BC and may even to an odd event just to spectate and see what I’m missing.

Thanks again to everyone *wavey*

Edited by - 4* on 13 May 2013 13:04:58

Paul - I thought you were considering retirement but when I saw you entered for last weekend I thought you would be around for at least another season.

It won't be the same without you and your wonderful sounding and looking car. Hope to see you at a future event.

Mark

Another surprised sprinter here, I'd also assumed that you were competing this season as well although I know you had mentioned stopping at some stage.

You'll be missed by everyone I'm sure but especially us in Class 4. Good luck with whatever you're doing next, bit of touring perhaps?

No more Lotus engines in the paddock ☹️.....

YES,YES, YESS *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup*

he is leaving class 4 , fantastic news it must be Christmas. Thank you Paul, what a releif that your not going to pushing and beating me this year. I will sleep well in the thought you have stopped. The send off was just to make sure there was no way back.

so sorry to see you leave ☹️ ☹️

TM

Edited by - TM on 13 May 2013 17:50:14

Paul

As you can see, I didn't tell a soul......

So sorry to miss your retirement weekend and my favourite of the season. I guess I'm partially unemployed as carer, with just Mike to look after now *eek*. He'll be without care for much of the season too, given the lack of events for me.

To echo everyone else's comments, it's been great competing over the last four years and I will certainly miss you in the paddock and on the hills! - and especially, the best sounding engine on the start line.

I look forward to catching up for a beer or curry in the not too distant future.

All the best

Stu

Hi Paul

Just to say that the photograph you took of class 4 at Anglesey still has pride of place in my office back in Dorset - happy days - enjoy your retirement.

Since I last saw you on that cold February day in Norfolk, my wife and I have been talking about buying a cottage in the area - your recommendations for places to visit were spot on. You never know .... we could be future neighbours 😬

Best wishes,

Graham *wavey*

• Support Team

I must say I was a bit taken aback when you said it was your last weekend in the championship - and a bit saddened I don't mind telling you ☹️

All the best in your retirement. I'm sure you'd be allowed back if you change your mind.

Rob

I thought you'd taken the starter motor issue hard on Saturday, but hadn't realised it was quite that serious!

What a sad piece of news; I've always enjoyed meeting up at events over the years, and although you have modestly played down your achievements, it has been great to see your successes. I do hope that you get to more events, even if only as a spectator.

A true sporting gentleman.

Paul

Great thread - this is what it is all about and I know nothing about sprinting at all (but wish I did). Sounds like one hell of a wrench for you Paul to give it up - best of luck. And apparently you live in Thame - that's where I was born and bred - too many nights I can't remember much about in the Birdcage *smile*

Paul

Just wanted to say how much I'll miss you in the paddock - and the music of that great engine! Our sprinting journey has been remarkably similar, right back to the Harewood Hillclimb School we did a few years ago. I hope you'll be able to make it to some future events as a spectator - it would be great to see you.

Best wishes

Andrew

Paul, I was also shocked that llys was your last event, I thought you had changed your mind like others when I had seen you had entered for the speed championship. I have only known you for a short period, but I would like to thank you for your encouragement and advice over the past two seasons I have competed in class 4. You are a true gentleman and we all hope to see you as a spectator. All the best. Jeremy

So sad to hear that you are retiring Paul :-(

My favourite memory in my entire history of competing was the bitter sweet moment when you beat me at Loton last year after thinking I had really pulled one out of the bag and nailed it on my last run; I was so sure I had done enough having beaten the class record but, then you arrived up the top and I couldn't quite read the emotion on your face. I should have know when I saw the merest hint of a smile :-)

All I can say, was that it was a pleasure to be beaten by a Gentleman, such as yourself and it was such a blinding run.

It won't be the same without one of the 'old gits' :-(

Rich.

Thanks to everyone for the very kind comments - it wasn't an easy decision to make *confused*

I think that I used the expressionto Simon "I will slide out" on the Welsh weekend but I was quite expecting this at Llandow *eek*

Notice the clever swivelling headlight, designed to alter the aerodynamics dependent on wind direction.

TM suggested I try it while he would have a go at the quick removal rear wing technique to achieve a similar advantage on Hanger straight, second time round *biggrin*

I would join in with the "sad to see you go" comments, but (a) I still haven't fully recovered from helping to bumpstart your car where you "accidently" left the handbrake on and (b) you contributed directly to my Llys hangover on Sunday. 40 minutes sat shivering in a queue in wet overalls, inhaling Rob Spencers leaky exhaust fumes, in a helmet thats 1/2 a size too small was unpleasant. Perhaps now you might also find another topic of dinner conversation other than the benefits of wide front ZZR tyres on braking distance.

*wink*

Cheers Paul - hopefully we'll all see you soon!

AB

Paul

Shock and surprise from this side too, have much enjoyed our paddock chats over the years and can only wish you a retirement from our sport filled with the best of memories.

Will miss the sound of that proper engine in what is now sadly the last and only true entrant in the LOTUS seven club speed championship

Besy Wishes

Grahame