Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Ear plugs

combine

Have worn proper ear defenders for ages but would like to get some ear plugs that have a type of ring that hooks round your ear so they stay in , normal plugs just fall out or don't seem very efficient at stopping noise. Where do you get decent plugs that do the job properly and don't fall out ?

Boots used to make wax earplugs that were moulded to your ear. I haven't been into a Bootsreently to know if they still do.

The ER20 are good enough but I don't find them that comfortable ...

Jez

If earplugs are falling out you're almost certainly not fitting them properly. If they're the foam type, they need to be rolled tightly then pushed right into the ear canal. It usually helps to pull back on your ear lobe before doing that.

I've got the Etymotic ones but find them uncomfortable with a helmet. I use cheap reusable "christmas tree" ones from ebay similar to these, and trim the stems so they don't contact the helmet when I'm wearing them.

I managed to find aproduct from Demon tweeks, that you mix and it moulds to your ear shape.

I find them more comfortable than the push in type that makes my ears ache after a long time,

Now I can wear them all day and nod when the wife’s lips move. 😬 😬

Chris.

Quoting Birkin S3 ZA.: 
I managed to find aproduct from Demon tweeks, that you mix and it moulds to your ear shape.

I find them more comfortable than the push in type that makes my ears ache after a long time,

Now I can wear them all day and nod when the wife’s lips move. 😬 😬

Chris.

Thats wicked ! *wink*

Using foam earplugs properly will adequately protect your hearing, and does not prove to be uncomfortable for most people. The gurus at 3M describe proper insertion and fit techniques in great detail in this pdf, or alternatively, in

. As with any tool, using the ear plugs properly is the key to achieving the desired result.

edit -- I have found it very beneficial to have clean hands/fingers before rolling them up, for obvious reasons. That said, the E*A*R brand from 3M are washable and re-useable. Other brands may be as well, but the 3M literature linked here does not mention that. *smile*

Edited by - BBL on 6 May 2013 20:48:16

I would recommend Howard Leight Max earplugs.

Can be bulk purchased on Ebay very cheaply.

They're the highest attenuation earplugs I have found, you can just about hear a conversation with a passenger (just about...), but more importantly, they maximise your hearing protection. Maybe an alternative to the others, certainly cheap enough to have a go with.

Quoting BenF: 
I would recommend Howard Leight Max earplugs.

Can be bulk purchased on Ebay very cheaply.

They're the highest attenuation earplugs I have found, you can just about hear a conversation with a passenger (just about...), but more importantly, they maximise your hearing protection. Maybe an alternative to the others, certainly cheap enough to have a go with.

Agree. I use these exclusively. They're cheap so can be discarded after a single use. Linky.

JV

• 3 years later...

I use 'tracers' which i obtained from cromwell tools - theyre for the food industry and have a piece of metal in them so the can be found when dropped in the pork pie meat mix. Superfluous for my needs but they fit and I like them.

They come supplied with a joining plastic cord which I've found transmits a whistling noise - a pair with the cord removed dont.

Just an observation to share!

Regards

Ian