Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Batteries .............. again!!

Foggy

Despite having spent the winter connected to a battery conditioner my old Banner battery is dying fast.

Having done the research on BC it would appear that the Powervamp PVR25 is the battery of choice (for many) to crank some life in to my old 1800 K series Roadsport. Now my question is this, is this still the favoured battery and if so what about a tray? I'm assuming that given the difference in dimensions between the respective batteries, the existing tray won't hold the new PVR25. If this is indeed the case do I need to buy the appropriate tray from Powervamp at the same time?

As always, any advice/guidance very gratefully received! 😶‍🌫️

Foggy the Silver Seven !!

I used the existing tray but modified the strap and fits tightly on there

Or you could try drilling out the tray and lying it on its side with some cable ties

Either way not a drama

oh the battery is fab by the way masses of torque etc and half the size

Make sure you use a conditioner on it though

Chris

Thanks people! I was intending to mount the PVR25 horizontally and having now noticed the appropriate "bracket" listed under accessories in the powervamp web site, that may well be the way to go. Assuming it's not more fuss than it's worth to do so? *rolleyes*

Oh and Longy, I have used a CTEK XS3600 for a few years now and it provides excellent service! *thumbup*

Foggy the Silver Seven !!

I got my tray/bracket off ebay for £16, perfect side for the "25" batteries and a lot cheaper than the Powervamp bracket. Good quality and service.

Jonathan

My Flickr

-----------------------------------

The rebuild has started :)

92 Supersprint, Ford LSD LA, RK AX Crossflow.

Can you isolate your battery (an FIA cut-off for example)? If you do then I would have thought that a conditioner would be redundant?

I used the existing tray and strap, just cut a snug fitting piece of wood to maintain the profile of the existing banner battery - works a treat *thumbup*

Steve - Orange and Black ex Academy - Lotus Seven Club Blatchatters Bike and Hike Team Member

• Area Representative

Yes Longy, straight into an under dash £8 four-socket aux power unit from Maplins which I cut the original end off, stuck an inline fuse on it and then took power straight through the bulkhead from the battery (I actually earthed it at the washer unit rather than find another earth).

The Optimate then just plugs in (you need the cigarette lead extender accessory which helpfully doubles the cable length) and you watch the wave of lights flood across the box as it starts its diagnostics an then you just leave it to do its 'thang' . . .

Giles

-----Beryl the Peril (HPC)

Edited by - gileshudson on 8 Mar 2010 07:42:35

Just replaced my Banner with a PowerVamp and very happy with their service and kit.

Mine was packed in bubble wrap so couldn't use that, so opted for a bit of wood in the existing holder to space it. I considered the PowerVamp holder but was a little short on space, not by much though.

In terms of chargers I've got a spare CarCoon one which does the job.