Click here if you are having website access problems ×

R500 Engine Issues

nigelpugh

Guys,

I have closed my previous thread as it needed a new start.

The current situation is that I am waiting for Caterham to call me on Tuesday to arrange for a replacement engine.

I will update on Tuesday when I know what is happening.

Nige.

Nigel

R500 CP - New 2008 Duratec R500

Nigel,

Firstly, I am really pleased you have decided to stick around with us on here *thumbup* *thumbup*

It was a real shame that what should have been a good natured if slightly heated discussion, went down hill to such a large extent ☹️ My appologies if I over stepped the mark, as we know its a passionate subject & can bring out the best & worse in us *rolleyes*

I am genuinely gutted hearing that your motor is likely totaled, heres hoping that Caterham move quickly & get you sorted out with a replacement post hast *thumbup* *thumbup*

Despite our differences I take it I'm still on for first test drive when you've finished it *tongue* *smile*

Glad you have decided to keep posting on blat chat Nigel as I have enjoyed watching your progress & seeing the pictures & video clips. *thumbup*

I completed a kit last year (only a humble sigma) & really enjoyed the experience. I hope caterham can resolve this rather serious issue with the engine asap & we can all see a clip of you tearing off down the road!! *tongue*

Guys,

Sorry for the lack of update, ran out of time yesterday.

I wish I could say that I have a nice new shiny engine, but sadly not yet.

I could not get hold of the engine crane until today, so I have only just removed the engine.

It is now sat on its pallet awaiting collection by the Caterham delivery van man.

Once again, I have to state just how easy the engine in the car is to work on.

It was a real PITA yesterday, stripping down all the items that took me so long to build, and pouring all those expensive fluids away, just hurts in the wallet big time too.

I can also report that removing the exhaust, and those pesky springs was just as hard as they were to fit in the first place too!!! *thumbdown*

Also at Caterhams request, I am sending back the Radiator/Oil Cooler assembly, the Dry Sump Oil Tank, and all of the Oil Hoses, for inspection and replacement.

When I know what the next actions are I will let you all know.

The car does look quite sad now, sitting there empty, as just a few days ago it was so close to being a real car, and 90% complete.

Oh well, "ce la vie!' I suppose.

Nige.

Nigel

Glad it wasn't too much hassle getting everything out again, being well rehearsed is not a bad thing, and I daresay it will all go in much better the second time!!!

Ask for some more fluids from Caterham, I'm sure they'll bung it in with the engine, not too much to ask I don't feel?

BTW, it's "c'est", not "ce" *tongue* (GCSE French don't ya know 😬)

John

Bugsy: '82 2cv6 (Hitting it fixed it )

Talloulah: '08 1.6K Classic (Tarnishing nicely ☹️)

Yep I have asked them to replace the fluids, as a good will gesture.

I don't think they would take the car away, as there are still quite a few other items I have unfinished.

Here's a picture of the now sorry looking engine bay:

sad empty engine bay!!

However I also made my self do something positve in a effort to move forwards and got the wings fitted:

Rear wing

Made me feel better!!

Nige.

Nigel

450 miles? pah, I know of two from ReHaB who managed to seize their engines immediately upon start up after installation! (names witheld to avoid embarrassment but for the sake of argument we will refer to them as Ian & Chris! *tongue*) *wink*

Brent

(aka Arfur Nayo)

Toyota power It's the future!

Yep, mine had not even got off the axle stands though, so that's got to be a first.

I did get the impression however that it is a more common occurrence than you might imagine after I spoke to CC.

Lets hope its not a trend and that the next one has more longevity!!

Nige.

Nigel

That's very cruel Darren, I was hoping that the collective memory of the cement incident had been omitted from the blatchat oral history, but I see not!

So yes I did go through 2 R500 engines (although not as many as others went through).

Engine #1 - bolt came out the front of the crank and all the pulleys fell off at about 8k rpm, pistons hit valves, nasty mess. When Caterham took the engine out and split it from the gearbox, the flywheel bolts had fretted away and the flywheel came off in their hands! Whilst it was never officially confirmed as the cause, Caterham had changed the flywheel at the pbc to solve a ring-gear/starter problem. The resultant imbalance caused the vibration that did for the engine.

Engine #2 - was the cement incident. I drove over a bag of cement in the road that had fallen off a lorry. The airbox scoop scooped up a scoop's worth of cement. It was a bit of a mess, so I contacted Minister. They said that cement was horrible abrasive stuff which got everywhere, so I should give them the engine to do a thorough check. That I did and they cleaned out the RBTBs and gave the engine a clean bill of health. I ran it for a couple of months (including a day at Goodwood). I then did a routine oil change and the old oil contained a very significant amount of gray sediment!!!! A pretty expensive and comprehensive rebuild then followed (along with a bit of a fight with Minister which I lost, but that's another story)!

Graham