360S Ground Clearance Under Sump

32 posts / 0 new
Last post
alcal
alcal's picture
360S Ground Clearance Under Sump

I have a new one of these (S3, 13inch wheels) on order and have noticed a couple of negative posts on here about the ground clearance. Before I look into switching to 15 inch wheels is there an owner who could give me an actual measurement to compare with my current Sigma car?

Thanks

ScottR400D

It shouldn't run any higher on 15" wheels than it does on 13". The ground clearance would be pretty much the same. 

I run a Duratec car on 13" wheels and ground clearance has never been an issue. 

L7C
Tazio
Tazio's picture

Aim for 75 to 80mm under the lowest point 

Mark360s

I don't know whether changing the wheels on a 360s will help, but there is definitely an issue with the ground clearance - it may depend where you live and the roads you drive on but I have just taken the corner off the sump on an undulating but smooth road in the Peak District. I wasn't pushing it that hard but have previously had a few 'clatters' elsewhere. Be interested in any other views/experiences/solutions on this

Jonathan Kay
Jonathan Kay's picture

"I don't know whether changing the wheels on a 360s will help, but there is definitely an issue with the ground clearance - it may depend where you live and the roads you drive on but I have just taken the corner off the sump on an undulating but smooth road in the Peak District. I wasn't pushing it that hard but have previously had a few 'clatters' elsewhere. Be interested in any other views/experiences/solutions on this"

What's the clearance, please?

Jonathan

Mark360s

Unfortunately I can't measure it as the car is now in for repair

ScottR400D

Wet or dry sump? Is the wet sump significantly lower than the dry? If so and the wet sump is the issue then at least there's an easy fix! If not cheap! 

The thing about the wheels is that the tyres should be of different sizes to make the whole assembly have the same rolling diameter whether the wheels are 13/14/15". 

Then the car should be set up according to the recommendation of CC or one of the other respected dealers/service places. 

Many people will vary slightly from the standard ride height I'm sure, but not too much. 

My car is dry sumped and there's a metal tubular 'sump guard' at the back of the sump(!) which has clearly been nudged a few times over the years but nothing serious and I'm not aware of it touching anything out on the highway or track.

Where we meet for our region's Club meets we go through an arch with a step of 2-3" under it. You need to go v slowly as you go down the step or you'll get a touch and that's where I think my 'guard' has been hit. 

L7C
7 wonders of th...

As previously mentioned the Raceline DS affords you 32mm more ground clearence on the critical form edge, the alternate nylon wedge that CC offer (it replaced the steel bar) reduces the chance of damaging the lower edge of the bellhousing

ScottR400D

#8 thanks Neil, that makes sense. 

L7C
Mark360s

Thanks for the info on dry sump. I think I'll look into the cost of that if it has a higher clearance. It may not be more expensive than having to replace a wet sump 2 or 3 times!!

John Vine
John Vine's picture

It may not be more expensive than having to replace a wet sump 2 or 3 times!!

Once was enough for me.  As I didn't want the expense of a dry sump, I opted for a sump guard instead.  See this thread (#34 onwards).

JV