Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Bulk Buy - Pipercross AirBox suitable for R3/4/500 NOISE RESULTS FROM BEDFORD ARE ADDED TO Page 14

frankyknuckles

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The intake ducting (on the way that we have installed it), sits right on the corner of the rad. I am not sure and I cannot measure the benefit of intake temps from this location.

I should point out that the testing was done with the hose in place. But in the afternoon sessions, I drove the car without the ducting. I did not notice any significant differences in performance, but I also did not have time to do back to back tests.

www.R300.net

Seems the box does work to some degree, i.e. the maximum Exhaust side noise is reduced by 3dB...

But it doesn't seem like much, would doing noise tests whilst stationary on the rolling road be a good idea? I suppose the noise of the rollers is going to be a problem though...

• Area Representative

It sounds like the box will need to be fitted permanently to the car as it is not a simple case of swopping it over with the foam filter each time you go on a track day. I for one do not want to start bending plates and removing throttle cables each time.

Personally I think that if the performance is as good/better than the foam filter then I would see no need to use the foam filter again unless I was selling the car back to Caterham. As far as noise is concerned I was always under the impression that these type of air boxes would help reduce induction noise so someone must have noticed this before? Surely it would not make it worse? Noise testing sounds(pun) very hit and miss, what with temperature, wind, moisture etc so I think a circuit needs visiting where the standard Caterham RX00 has consistantly failed, on a day when it is failing to see if it would now scrap through with an airbox fitted. (Goodwood?)

Nick

• Leadership Team
Seems the box does work to some degree, i.e. the maximum Exhaust side noise is reduced by 3dB...
Noise measurement is logarithmic, not linear, and as such doubles with every 3 dB increase - enough said *thumbup*

Stu.

I was black flagged at Bedford *thumbdown*

Just to remind everyone that the testing of this product has been done on an R300 fitted with a large R500 (7 inch I think) silencer.

After the briefing in the morning I decided that because of the noise rules (2 strikes and your out) I would drive with the airbox installed all day. So before I went out I also fitted the cold air feed pipe to the airbox to try and reduce noise levels to a minimum.

The morning weather conditions were cold, windy and slightly overcast but the cloud level was high. I drove all morning with no issues at all. Wingnut also drove my car so I had the chance to listen to the noise levels as the car drove past the pit corner. For those that know Bedford, you know that it is an almost flat out corner in 4th. Mike was also at Bedford in his Duratec so again I could compare noise levels.

Considering the Mikes exhaust is on the drivers side, his car was much noisier than mine and indeed, Mike was warned very early on in the day.

The noise levels coming from my car were alot quieter than Mikes and also alot quieter than most of the Elises that were driving that day. Also, observing my car around the circuit (far as far as i could see it from the pit wall), there was a noticeable noise difference (mine being very quiet) compared to all the other cars.

However, after lunch I was black flagged on my first session for noise. Before I went on track, I had a static noise test which I noted as 86db, very quiet indeed (I passed the static test in the morning with a cold engine, but I did not record the noise reading, so I though it worthwhile doing after lunch with a warm engine).

When I arrived in the pits, the marshal told me that I was 0.2db over the drive by noise limit. If I remember the numbers correctly, the limit is 87.6db and I was 87.8db. The Marshal would not tell me which noise meter I triggered, but he did hint that it 'could have been' under hard excelleration away from a hairpin bend, so I can only imagine that it was after the first hairpin.

Why did I trigger it in the afternoon and not in the morning? Good question. The weather conditions in the afternoon were much improved from the morning, it was alot warmer, less windy, little cloud etc, so one would have thought that the noise conditions were better. But, I am gradually getting the hang of 'heel and toe', so I was using 2nd gear alot more in the slower corners. My guess is that it was hard acceleration in 2nd away from the hairpin (and possibly overtaking another car which would have taken me closer the the noise meter) that gave me the problem. It is worth noting that the noise meter is on the exhaust side of the car at this location.

For the rest of the day I did not use 2nd gear and I had no more issues.

All in all, I had a fantastic day at Bedford *thumbup*

What concerns me is that I 'only' have an R300 and I still triggered the noise meter. I'm not convinced that the airbox is providing significant noise level reductions. For all those people interested in the airbox that have more than 160bhp, I am not at all convinced that the airbox will provide sufficient noise attenuation. This of course, is simply my opinion based on not very scientific fact, but more on practical observations.

The next thing we have to do is get the airbox on the rollers to see if it is restrictive. Driving my car with the airbox installed does not appear to make the car restrictive, but I think something like this can only be tested on the rollers.

Would I buy the airbiox? Probably yes. For the cost it is probably worth it for those times that I visit Bedford, something I would like to do often because it is such a good circuit and the airbox kept me safe for most of the day. But like I say, it only just did it on an R300, I'm not sure if it would have done the same on R4 and R500's.

Simon, I need your address to post the airbox back to you.

www.R300.net

Edited by - frankyknuckles on 15 Apr 2006 07:43:42

My Caterham supplied carbon airbox did the trick last time I was there along with a large 7in exhaust ,(R400) not one warning or comment all day & it was very cold that particular day.

But as for that load of pony about giving you more power, definatley not in my experience.

Just a thought but 87.8db is pretty quiet by any standards, but maybe the noise of the R300 is pretty low anyway ?.

Maybe greater noise reduction could be made with it fitted to a R400 / 500

May I suggest a repeat of the tests - drive by, with and without airbox ,at the forthcoming Llandow trackday on 29th April with a r400 or 500 - there are a few there including Simon Rogers and Mark Durrant *smile* . Simon and I also have noise meters .

Dave

A reply from the European Sales Manager at Pipercross

=============

Dave

Many thanks for the update....

Sound testing is always difficult, we struggled to get conclusive test results, as they constantly altered...

I cannot really see the kit NOT reducing sound.. due to the size of the intake... the only way to reduce the noise further would be to fit duel filters..as the Lotus 340 did O.E...

But with this airbox we would not want to cause that extra restriction...

SO you are still to test power are you? will be interested to see the results..

Please keep me informed and let me know if you have any ideas you would like me to look at.

Regards

James

===============

www.R300.net

Simon curently has it. He will be power run testing it on Monday and then noise testing it at Llandow with Dave Jackson + others.

After that, it is yours.

But at that time, we will have to make a decision on the group buy. I need lots of feedback (on this thread, not via email) if all the interested parties are still interested given the testing we have done so far *confused*

www.R300.net