Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Bulk Buy - Pipercross AirBox suitable for R3/4/500 NOISE RESULTS FROM BEDFORD ARE ADDED TO Page 14

frankyknuckles

• Leadership Team

For those with KV6 throttle bodies:

I've done some measuring and the Pipercross backplate is substantially bigger than the standard backplate intended for the ITG filter. It should be fairly straightforward to cut a sizeable hole in the new backplate, very similar to the aluminium strip glued to the ITG filter - this can then be sealed and bolted in place. Currently my engine is out therefore I'm unable to calculate whether the cut hole should be central on the new backplate, or offset somewhat to clear chassis furniture *confused*

Stu.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stu

My engine (VHPD) is out too but at least we now know that the new back plate will fit over the old kV6 one, one way or another, although it looks to me that fitting it from the outside would be the most effective if chassis constraints allow.

NigelJ

The closing date will depend on when we get things tested.

Simon, I have an email from James Pearman from Pipercross, they had manufacturing problems last week, but it is now resolved. You should have the airbox tomorrow.

edited typo

Edited by - frankyknuckles on 23 Mar 2006 11:32:21

Its arrived *eek*

Out of houe all da Wednesday and have to do the final dryfit on the gearbox this evenng.

Have to collect te new correct length input shaft and nose during the day tomorw and then fit the enginebox and reconnect everything Thursday evening to be on the road by 5:30 am Friday to get to Steve G's for 11am *cool*

So if there are no picy's unil the weekend I do appologise.

BUT come what may it wllbe noise tested nd photo'd on Saturday.

Giving it some more Welly - or maybe something else

I forgot to put the email on this thread, so here it is (from Pipercross)

================

Very sorry for the delay...I was unaware of the delay..this has been due to manufacturing solving a small problem with the sealing of the boxes..

It has now been solved and 1 box will be straight out to you tomorrow. >

Now we have solved the small issue, production of 50 Air boxes would only be 5-7 working days

================

www.R300.net

I just missed out on completing the car for today's rolling road session. 3mm of propshaft in the tunnel.

However all is not lost.

Propshaft is sorted. BAR Propshafts, Neath. New one made in 1.5 hrs *thumbup*

Airbox will be tried on a number of cars tomorrow for noise. My meter will be there also.

Then rolling road confirmed for Thursday next week.

Sorry guys.

Just have to wait for the figures.

Only 47 ........ thought you could have got this upto at least 50 by now Franky

What will the prices be for 50, 75, 100

and

How many Caterham's are there out there that these airboxes will fit 🤔 That should be our target *thumbup*

R400 .......... I love it

Edited by - noddy on 25 Mar 2006 11:17:37

Unfortunately due to the poor weather condiutions we were unable to test the airbox at Llandow so a drive by test will have to be done somewhere else, perhaps a quiet public road will suffice. In addition because of the configuration of the cicuit at at Llandow any driveby readings would have been taken from the nearside/exhaust side of the car which is not ideal.

Mark D

Comp Sec *cool*

I'm going to Abingdon on 7th April. It has huge straights, I am happy to do the nose testing (after Simon does the flow test on Friday on the rr). Simon, I could come and collect from Steve's on Friday depending what time you will be there? I could only get to Steve's by about 7pm.

Still, any chance of any piccies Simon?

www.R300.net

OK here we go.

Just got the car fired up - first turn after getting oil pressure *thumbup*

OH yeh it changes gear also 😬

So given that i had 10 min i installed the airbox.

2 things came to light - 1 - My engine is raised by 19mm alli blocks under the engine mounts to increase ground clearance to the sump when running a low set up for the track. So I knew this would be tight to get the box under the bonet as it squashes the standard air filter. But it fits *thumbup* It is touching all the way along the air box and it is tight. I will fit some foam to aid wear and tear.

Installation - not just a straight swap. The mould seems thicker on the section that meets the back plate. The tongues which go through the back plate needed quite a bit of "persuasion" to go through and I had to bend the back plate out to almost horizontal to get the tongues in.

I guess normally you could lower the airbox to almost horizontal to insert the male female bits *eek*

But on the 7 you can't - 1st the throtle cable stops you towards the rear and then the bracket holding the Z clips of the nose stop the front. ie you can only lower the box to about 45 degrees.

As i said persuasion *tongue*

But I fear this could be more of a problem for guys without the lifted engine. ie you will be able to lower it to less of an angle hence more persuasion needed or more bending of the back plate to allow a more vertical entry 😳

So long as you don't mind bending the soft thin back plate which bends back easy although not perfectly then all will be ok. 😳

So the rollers on Thursday - lets wait and see.

Franky or anyone who can get to Steve G's on Thursday - I'm there 11 - 4 i guess. So I can leave it there if you like as long as Steve can let you get at it. If the maping proves successful my first sprint is Longcross on 17th ish.

OH yeh the front butterfly clip on the airbox is in such a position as to be nearly impossible to do by hand. *mad*

Might get some pickies done later

Giving it some more Welly - or maybe something else

Simon, thanks for the update. Can you email me your mobile number, I will call you on Thursday to see what time you are going to be there until (and also what time the Steve's will be there until, they often work late), If everything works out OK I will pop down after work to pick up the airbox. I will be at Abingdon on the 7th April and Bedford on the 14th so can noise test the box.

www.R300.net