Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Possible BB of ZF LSD's THIS IS CLOSED DUE TO LACK OF DEMAND

oldbutnotslow

I WILL NOT BE TAKING THIS BB ANY FURTHER DUE TO LACK OF DEMAND AND IMMEDIATE AVAILABILITY.Thanks to all those who expressed intrest and especially to BC *thumbup*

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

SEE PAGE 14 *thumbup*

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nifty and I are seriously thinking of buying an LSD see previous post here that has a deal of pertinent information on it.

I was wondering if anyone else may be interested and if there is the potential for a BB discount?

From this post you will see that there are a number of types of LSD but the major ones for the 7 seem to be: -

* The AP Suretrac

* ZF Plate

* and Quaife

The AP Suretrac seems to be OK for anything up to 150 bhp whereas the other 2 will handle most power outputs from a 7.

I don’t have a price for the AP Suretrac as it wont handle my power.

R&R are quoting £834 inc vat for the ZF including modified ramps and pre-load and fitting.

Quaife are quoting £664 inc vat fitted. Thats £495 for the unit + £70 fitting + VAT which of course is the price for just 1 unit

Fitting means they fit the LSD into your existing casing using your crown wheel pinion and bearings etc.

R&R aren't able to offer a discount for a BB as they buy the basic LSD from Caterham and there simply doesn't seem the margin for R&R to make a meaningful discount available.

(I accept that there may be other suppliers)

Ive not spoken to Quaife yet. There is there possibility they will tell me to poke it as well but if I have an idea of potential numbers I may stand a better chance than merely waiving some unconfirmed numbers about.

PS

I would want mine fitted as I have played with gearboxes and diffs in years gone by and for £70 its just not worth getting it wrong!

If you would be interested in participating in a BB of the Quaife LSD please post a reply here.

UPDATED 8.11.05

THIS IS THE LIST OF PEOPLE WHO HAVE EXPRESSED AN INTEREST

1. Grant Taylor ZF

2. Neil Cavanagh Quaife

3. Bricol Quaife

4. Martin (Wurlitzer ) Woodham ZF

5. John Howe Quaife

6. Fathead Quaife

7. Griff Quaife

8. Malcolm (EnglishmaninWales) Quaife

9. Lancelot Quaife

10. Ray Pearce Quaife

11. Dave McCulloch ZF

12. The Polisher - Dave Horridge Quaife

13. Delbert Quaife

14. Neil Williams Quaife

15. Neill Anderson Quaife

16. Jason (aka jnessling) Quaife

17. Andy A ZF

18. Paul White Quaife

19. Dominic Hall ZF (possible)

20. Martin S Quaife

21. Lesley Mills Quaife

22. Nicolas (marcos59) Quaife

23. MAV Quaife

24. Chris Hawkins Quaife

25. Geoff (Bullman 1) Quaife

26. Richard in France ZF

27. Lesley Mills Quaife

28. Nigel Mills Quaife

29. Nicolas Marcos Quaife

30. Nifty ZF

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATED 24.11.05

The list of those who have confirmed that they are willing to commit money for the Quaife are: -

11) Neil Cavanagh

2) Ray Pearce

3) Dave The polisher Horridge

4) Delbert

5) Niel Williams

6) Paul White

7)Geoff Bullman

8) Sandy

9) John Howe

10) Neil Anderson

11) Nicolas (Marcos59)

12) Mike Harrison

13) Tor Atle

14) Martin Saunders

GTD, Fathead, Dominic Hall Jason (AKA Jnessling),Chris Hawkins and Mav have replied saying no.

Will the following (who previously expressed an interest please let me have a note of their intention: -

Bricol

Griff

Martin S

Lesley Mills

Nigel Mills

(We will get into who wants supply only or the unit fitted later)

There is always the possibility that with only 9 confirmed buyers Quaife will revise the price. I don’t want to talk to them until I know for sure about the others, so please gat back to me as soon as you are able with your intention.

If you want to add your name to the list there is still time!

The following have indicated interest in the ZF

ME

Martin Woodham

Dave McCulloch

Andy A

Richard (in France)

Malcolm Hickley (Englishman in Wales)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TO RECAP THE PRICES

QUAIFE SERRA DIFF Basic unit £371.25 + Vat = £436.21 (This represents a 25% discount from the basic price of £581)

New bearing set £80 + fitting £70 +VAT TOTAL £612.46

MARINA/ITAL DIFF £345+ FITTING +BEARINGS + VAT

THERE WILL BE POSTAGE TO ADD TO THIS OF COURSE

THE BB PRICE IS ON THE BASIS OF 15 UNITS

IF YOU WISH TO BUY A QUAIFE YOU WILL BEED TO CONTACT THEM DIRECTLY. I HAVE A CALL INTO THEM AND WILL ARRANGE FOR ONE PERSON TO TAKE ALL THE CALLS SO THAT THEY WILL KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON. PLEASE GIVE ME ANOTHER DAY TO SORT THE CONTACT OUT. I WILL POST THE PERSONS NAME AND PHONE NUMBER HERE TOMORROW

QUAIFE WILL SUPPLY THE ATB ONLY IF YOU WISH TO HAVE THE UNIT FITTED OR DO IT YOURSELF.

PHIL AT ROAD & RACE WILL FIT THE UNIT AND WILL NOT INSIST UPON NEW BEARINGS ON THE SEIRRA DIFF IF HE THINKS THAT THEY ARE SERVICABLE. THE MARINA/ITAL MUST HAVE NEW BEARINGS FITTED.

PLEASE REMEMBER THAT THE QUAIFE UNIT IS AN Automatic Torque Biasing Diff. PLEASE ENSURE THAT YOU DISCUSS YOUR PARTICULAR REQUIREMENT WITH QUAIFE. IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO ENSURE THAT YOU ARE HAPPY WITH THIS. !!

UPDATE 9.11.05

I HAVE SPOKEN TO QUAIFE TODAY. MY CONTACT WILL NOT BE BACK AT WORK FOR 3 TO 4 WEEKS DUE TO A BACK OPERATION AND I AM NOW BEING TOLD THAT ONE PERSON HAS TO ORDER AND PAY FOR THE DIFFS IF WE ARE TO GET THE DISCOUNTED PRICE, WHICH WAS NOT MY ORIGINAL UNDERSTANDING. TO SAY THAT I AM FRUSTRATED IS AN UNDERSTATEMENT!

I HAVE SAID ALL ALONG THAT I AM NOT WILLING TO ACT AS A CLEARINGHOUSE FOR MONIES.

HOWEVER IF I AM TO CONSIDER ACTING AS THE CLEARING HOUSE (GIVEN THAT I WONT BE BUYING A QUAIFE) I NEED CONFIRMED ORDERS (NOT JUST MAYBES).

PLEASE POST YOUR AGREEMENT TO BUY (DONT SEND MONEY YET) I WILL THEN KNOW JUST HOW MUCH DISCOUNT WE WILL GET REMEMBERING THAT THE DISCOUNT WAS AGREED ON THE BASIS OF 15 ORDERS.

THIS APPLIES TO THE QUAIFE ORDER ONLY.

ZF

PRICE YET TO BE CONFIRMED BUT I AM HOPING THAT IT WILL BE AROUND £450 + USUAL (DONT HOLD ME TO THIS!!!!)

DELIVERY IS PROBLEMATICAL. I CANT CONFIRM WHEN THIS WILL BE AT THIS TIME

I WILL POST MORE ON THE ZF WHEN FURTHER DETAILS ARE KNOWN

Grant Taylor

😬 183 BHP of Black and 'Stone Chip' excitement. 😬

here

Edited by - oldbutnotslow on 27 Mar 2006 15:51:46

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I'm certainly interested though 7 Wonders post on my other thread would suggest that Trans X plate LSD would be cheaper and the general concensus is that ultimately a plate type is the most suitable, though the difference is only significant when you really start throwing the car about and lifting the wheels on kerbs.

(However, having watched Dave Jackson in car footage at Curborugh I shall be emulating his lines next year and therefore will be lifting wheels *tongue* *tongue* *tongue*)

Keep off the straight and narrow *tongue* 😬

Grant,

I have a supplier who can do the 'Caterham' Quaife ATB at £440 +vat (£517) not including Fitting for a purchase of 5 units.

Thats for starters, without them speaking to Quaife to see if they can get a better price.

Hope that helps...

Edited by - mav on 14 Oct 2005 09:58:38

Had been thinking along the Trans X route but would be happy with the Quaiffe, it would keep their g/box company.

Is the fitting done to the car or do you have to remove the diff and send it to them?

JH

Deliveries by Saffron, *thumbup* the yellow 230bhp Sausage delivery machine

Grant, I'm in. I assume when you mention fitting you mean that we take our diffs to whoever and they rip out the open diff mechanism and replace with the LSD mechanism?

BTW, I'm pretty sure that AP Suretracs are used by TVR road and race cars...so not sure why they would have a power problem?!

Martin

Roadsports B

If everything's under control you're going too slow (Emmerson Fittipaldi)

Or your pants are too tight.(DB)

I am interested and have been looking for a LSD for a while.

Unfortunately the money is a little tight at the moment but if we got a good price this may be too good to miss.

so count me in for now as dependant on price- hope thats ok, I don't wish to mess people around *smile*

Martin/John yep your assumptions are correct you will need to remove and refit the diff If we were to use Quaife themselves they would fit the LSD in your case.

One thing that we can do is write up a set of removal and re fitting instructions for the diff that would have the correct sequence and would give the correct torque settings etc.

I will replace my prop shaft UJ's as a matter of course whilst the diff is out as its not worth not doing it. We may be able to do something about supply of these as well. CC quote £10 each for a UJ

Oh yes and you get a big Paperweight as a bonus after you have fitted the LSD!!

Grant

here

I have spoken to Trans X who have quoted £545.75 + vat + delivery for one unit. As an indication they will discount by 17.5% for an order of 10.

These are plate LSD's made to their own design. They don't offer a fitting service themselves although I have no doubt that they could sort something out with a local company to them.

At the moment I am only interested in the Quaife and that is the only one (at the moment) that the potential BB relates to.

Thanks to 7 wonders of the world for thie info though *thumbup*

Grant

here