Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Footwell cooling strategy....

Steve-B

Thanks Steve *wink* don't want to upset anyone.

Oliver: £5 a square FOOTfor the cheapest, so you can see what I mean, total rip off.

How long has yours been siliconed in place? Is this in the engine bay or on the exposed side of the tunnel nearest the drive shaft? Is it really stuck well or could you peel it off. Must do something and I can't aford the self adhesive stuff from DT either.

Richard in France

Flying fast in my very bright yellow 226bhp Duratec 7, with internal kevlar/carbon panels and pushrod suspension 😬 😬 😬.for pictures of 7 and carbon

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why not use some Fans where the heater would usually go?

You can get 12v PC "delta" fans that claim to shift 190cfm, but this is at the cost of a 59dB noise output. Costs about £15.

Or go for a couple of smaller ones, mounted under the dash?

*thumbup* thanks Mike *thumbup*

i'm also going to have a word with CC UK and CC USA and see what they think

Steve B

Big Black Beast^3 Lighten up everybody....NOW

USA 2005: How the West Was Driven

Edited by - Steve-B on 1 Aug 2004 13:22:07

If you duct the fans, I don't see that they would?

Would look a bit messy under the bonnet, but I think with the aluminium duct, down the bulkhead, possibly pointing rearwards, up to where the heater usually goes, it would not take a great deal of effort.

Personally, I just use my fan from the heater. Works a treat!

The main problem is trapped hot air. It just does not pass through the tunnel so all the heat from the engine bay is stuck. From testing with a thermocouple this we have proven. In front of the gear stick is so much hotter and this air does not move at all and just gets hotter. There is only really 2 options unless you want to do major mods. 1 vent the air out to the cooler parts ie: rear of car or insulate. Norman Verona reckons his car was so much cooler with reflective insulation material put on the footwells and tunnel panels (outside not in the cockpit).

Richard in France

Flying fast in my very bright yellow 226bhp Duratec 7, with internal kevlar/carbon panels and pushrod suspension 😬 😬 😬.for pictures of 7 and carbon

I made a cheap heat shield out of kitchen foil backed with duck tape, and fitted it to the area around the battery / passenger footwell.

We spent a lot of the w/e driving to Bath to see rellies, and then around the Cotswolds, there was a huge improvement in the passenger footwell temperature, even allowing Ms UC to go bare foot - previously impossible.

We did find that we moved the problem further back down the car, and had a really hot transmission tunnel.

I was wondering if there was a way of removing the heat from the engine bay by putting a heat shield just behind the exhaust manifold to try and channel the hot air out through the hole for the exhaust pipe. 🤔

Steve, re picture I promised, there does not appear to be any way to attach a file when mailing from the website, so either could you drop me a mail to give me your address, or you can see the car at www.hydrojettingonline.com

click on the "like cars?" link.

Regards, Mike.

My cheap insulation is on the engine side and has been on since january. It's so light that I'm not really worried about it falling off. I'm under pressure to get the transmission tunnel temperatures down from SWMBO as it was pretty hot against the thighs this weekend. I might try some fan blades on the propshaft to blow the hot air out of the back.

SEP field working, not spotted in 102,000 miles. Some photos on webshots, updated 10 June

Can the Safari vents be blocked off if it rains?

I've installed heatwrap on the exhaust pipes and heatshield on the engine side of the footwells. This has worked pretty well for me. Not insulated inside the transmission tunnel though. I have a 79 that does not have any chassis tubing inside the tunnel and the tunnel is larger than the later cars so there seems to be enough air movement to prevent heat build up. I do find that I get some heat from the floor of the cockpit and assume that this is airflow from the engine compartment. Not bad enough to bother insulating it but then I'm not driving in the heat for a full day as people will on the tour.

Ken Sailor

Some light aircraft use a small perspex scoop mounted in a swivel for windscreen ventilation, so you can turn it into the airflow and draw forced air, but when you turn it around 180 degrees it makes a watertight seal and closes the hole. 90 degrees provides "unforced" ventilation, as the scoop is parrellel to the airflow. These are very compact and low profile- maybe 5" in diameter and an inch deep. Dont know where you would find them, but something along these lines mounted into the floor panel might work, as well as letting you see the road go by!

Having suffered with this problem over the years, I've been following this thread with interest.

It might be of interest to note, that when Caterham Cars were producing the ill fated 21, they fitted a foam back, self adhesive silver foil on all the panels within the transmission tunnel, and I really don't remember my old 21 getting over hot, even though I had a Vx engine fitted, [or maybe because of it *eek*] except on one notable occasion, when on a track day with a passenger, who complained that if he braced himself against the footboard, his soles would melt, and if he didn't he felt that he would go through the screen, every time I braked for a corner *eek*.

The other thought that comes to mind, but not tried yet, and might work with cars that have the fresh air heater, is to put some wet cloth in the fresh air inlet, under the bonnet, and turn on the fan. The evaporation would cause cool air, which could be introduced into the footwell. If this worked, it wouldn't be difficult to lash up some sort of water bottle, pump and pipework to keep the cloth wet/damp.

It might be possible to experiment with various "misting" systems too, these can be very effective for personel cooling, but the 1st principle must be to remove the cause of the heat in the first place, which is why I think that RiF has some good thoughts on the matter.

Paul J. - To own a Seven you don't have to be mad ............but it helps!

My car has the non-fresh air heater with six vent bonnet and heater water isolation valve.

Does replacing the bonnet and heater with the fresh air inlet type make any significant difference to footwell temperatures (whne the fan is on and the hot water supply is isolated)?

Or is the 'improvement' not justified by the cost?

MikeK

I must admit that I've been a little underwhelmed by the conversion, but I managed to do it on the cheap and console myself with the weight saving. However, with almost a years gap between the before and after, it's hard to be sure.

SEP field working, not spotted in 102,200 miles. Some photos on webshots, updated 10 June

Hi All,

Following this thread and using a compter fan to blow cool air from under the dash into the footwells comes to mind.

You can get any number of fans putting out large cfm with some at great preasure. Speed controlls, ductwork, custom grills, etc. are readily available. Cooler Master makes a high preasure squirrel cage fan that puts out a ton of air.

Would a combination of one fan per footwell and heat insulation in the engine bay do the trick ? Both fans could have their own speed control.

Joe

As I got out of the car last week to fill up with Petrol I must of caught the gearshift gaiter and pulled a rivet out. It then had an inch gap which let air from the transmission tunnel into the cockpit. The cockpit side was much cooler after this and heated up again when I pressed it back down again.

So I guess the "removing air from the transmission tunnel" solution would make a lot of difference. Not very scientific but just my two pence worth.

Michael.