Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Off Centre Steering Wheel

Northern Banana

I have noticed recently (had the car for 2 years so the initial excitement must be wearing off), that the steering wheel is not centred when travelling straight forward.

As my correction of oversteer is poor at the best of times I thought I had better get it sorted to give me a fighting chance.

Is correcting this as simple as loosening off the 'grip' to the steering column on the steering rack and rotating until it is in the right position, or is it more involved than that?

In case in makes a difference the car has a quick release boss.

Thanks for any help provided.

Paul

In all the experiences of tin tops with this problem [the cars goes straight on only with say 5 degrees of lock one way or the other is this is the same as you are experiencing?] then you need to go to a tyre company or garage that shows an interest/intelligence of the job in hand which would be to put the steering wheel at straight ahead position then adjust the tracking so the car goes straight ahead and then go up and down the road to check before paying it helps to keep their attention.

paul

Paul

Suggest visiting a reputable tyre fitters (ATS seem to have the best kit round here) and getting tracking adjusted, preferably using a laser tracker. You can have the steering wheel set how you wish, and clamped in that position before they finally set the tracking adjustment. As has been said, only pay when satisfied. Should cost around £15 or so, more for the full 4 wheel alignment check. May help to have the Caterham setting data from the build manual handy in case our favourite car is not listed in the standard data that they hold. Good luck!

I would say do it yourself. Work out which track rod needs lenghthening and which needs shortening to centre the wheel and as accurately as you can adjust each by the same amount. If you have managed to shorten and lenghthen by the same amount you will end up with a centred wheel and the same toe-in as before. If you've adjusted one more than the other you'll have changed the toe-in but so what, within limits toe-in is adjust to taste anyway you might like it better. Conventional wisdom suggests straight ahead, zero toe-in is a good place to start.

Paul,

First check that the steering rack is in its middle position,by measuring the slots in the steering arms to the rack clamps,then position your steering wheel in the center by loosenig the uj at the rack and at the steering bar, with these two it is most likely to get the position of the steering wheel staight but if you are still not satisfied go to a garage. the first thing thy will do is set your steering wheel straight and start to adjust the steering arms even if the rack is not at its center.

• 1 month later...

Paul,

If you have a momo you can move it around on the splines. Be sure your tracking is correct and that the arms on the uprights to which the track rod ends insert have not got bent (check dist between casting and brake disc.)

Arnie Webb

Organiser- L7C Le Mans Trip

To book for this years Le Mans Trip see The Le Mans Trip Website

It really is very very very very full now!!!

You MUST center the rack before any other activity. If Mr Caterham has done his work correctly, then center the steering wheel and adjust the tracking. Now the important bit - do NOT end up with one track rod (effectively) longer that the other. ALWAYS set the steering wheel by splines (there are enough combinations), never juggle the track rod length. Why? The 'bump-steer' will be compromised side to side, giving uneven responses and odd steering geometry.

The splines are too coarse to get the wheel exactly centered, so you usually have to make some tweaks to the track rod ends. As long as you adjust both rod ends by the same amount (which is easy, just count the turns) then you don't need to measure the tracking - unless you want to confirm that it's "correct" of course. And of course there is no such thing as "correct".

Mike