Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Universal Joint

Graham Hutton

For me it’s a once a year task during MOT, but don’t think it’s necessary at that frequency.  I bet 2 -3 years would be fine depending on mileage, assuming your UJ isn’t sealed for life, as some are. 

• Like 1

• Leadership Team

Later cars don't have them and they have been known to fail, therefore if the prop is out for any reason it's worth having grease nipples fitted.

25 minutes ago, 7 wonders of the world said:

If the prop is out it's worth getting better quality uj's fitted with nipple and rebalanced. 

My 2006 prop joints were knackered after 7months so that and my current prop were rebuild BT Proptech.. He wasn't very complimentary about the budget joints that were in from the factory.... 

If there’s an issue then it must be down to poor quality parts being used because greased for life UJs should last years end years. Like they do on millions of cars that have them. 

I look at mine every year, there’s no play in the joints and they’re quite free but then again the mileage is quite low. I think the fact that both ends are fixed and the angles are very small helps. 

• 1 month later...