Click here if you are having website access problems ×

CTEK Charger Connected via Cigarette Lighter

BJH_360S

4 minutes ago, Jonathan Kay said:

Do you have a particular concern?

I have the standard 'Banner' battery and I was thinking of using the CTEK cigarette lighter adapter rather than having to remove the bonnet each time to connect it to the battery directly. I had no particular concern. I just wanted to check that this 'reverse charging' was feasible and not a dumb idea for the Seven.

1 hour ago, BJH_360S said:

Yes, that was part of my question really. I have the 360 and I was wondering if the cigarette lighter is live when the ignition is switched off.

I can't find it on a Sigma wiring diagram. But I'd check on the Seven anyway. If you don't have a male plug you can probably do this with a multimeter  from the engine side of the dash.

And it would be simple to change the socket to unswitched. 

Jonathan

• Area Representative

I’ve had my Optimate connected via a socket for 20+ years with no problems and Banner batteries seem to last around 6 or 7 years. I don’t see a reason to remove it from the car or use a regular charger.

BJH360S - do you not have something you can plug in to check when it is live? If not, why not consider buying a USB adaptor. It will allow you to use the socket to charge your phone etc. HERE

8 hours ago, jbcollier said:

Not wild about cigarette lighter/power sockets as a 100% reliable connection.  I use DIN power sockets myself.  It snaps home for a positive connection.  Useful for my heated vest as well.

I've had some with very poor connections, and spent some time bending springs. So the charger status always gets a quick glance.

If anyone is fitting or replacing a socket I recommend using one that also includes one or two USB sockets with at least one of them offering 2.1 A charging. Some also include a little digital voltmeter.

Happy Christmas

Jonathan

18 hours ago, paul richards said:

I’ve had my Optimate connected via a socket for 20+ years with no problems and Banner batteries seem to last around 6 or 7 years. I don’t see a reason to remove it from the car or use a regular charger.

That's exactly my experience too (Optimate and Banner). 

I fitted a 12v inline fuseholder (with 10A fuse) as close as possible to the +ve battery terminal, then cable-tied the socket under the steering column.

JV

• Leadership Team
12 hours ago, jbcollier said:

Not wild about cigarette lighter/power sockets as a 100% reliable connection.  I use DIN power sockets myself.  It snaps home for a positive connection.  Useful for my heated vest as well.

Totally agree. Once you start using a DIN power socket the cheap cigar lighter sockets appear totally naff and they’re definitely unreliable in a Seven.

Some cigar type plugs do have a removable section at the end which then makes them compatible with the DIN sockets.

Stu.

On 23/12/2023 at 15:27, MattB said:

Hi Matt, Yes that does look to be a very neat solution albeit quite expensive. Since my 360S already has a cigarette lighter as standard I was hoping to use that rather than run extra wiring. If it is not always live then I may take your suggestion since it is neat and provides the extra benefit of the battery health indicator. Cheers.

On 23/12/2023 at 16:56, paul richards said:

BJH360S - do you not have something you can plug in to check when it is live? If not, why not consider buying a USB adaptor. It will allow you to use the socket to charge your phone etc. HERE

Hi Paul, Yes, I should plug something in to check if it is always live. I am ashamed to admit that I was being lazy and hoping for a quick yes/no answer. I also want to know if there was a easy ECU configuration that could switch the 'always live' on/off for the auxiliary power.

A big thanks to everyone for their advice. That has been very useful. Happy Christmas / New Year to you all.

On 23/12/2023 at 19:04, BigCol said:

I fitted a connector for my CTEK in the cockpit - so no need to remove the bonnet to access - which goes direct to the battery:IMG_7298.thumb.jpeg.9f74f35c9ca6b827058f42a09120c6b4.jpeg

edited to add, if I was to do this again, I’d use the adaptor @MattB references above.

I had this setup on my Elise (albeit under the bonnet). With the Caterham I just use the FIA cut-off key which means it starts on the button in the spring with no need to charge all winter.

• 2 weeks later...

I am answering my own question for the benefit of other folk who may be interested. The cigarette lighter that came with my 360S is indeed permanently live so my 5 amp CTEK charger can be connected via that without the key being in the ignition. 🙂