Click here if you are having website access problems ×

How to Disonnect Speedo for Track

Caterham Track Days

I seem to remember that on the Academy cars they disconnect the speed sender at the rear wheel. This is because if the sender or cable gets hit or damaged on track it can cause a fuse to blow (not sure which one) that cuts power to the ECU, meaning loss of power on track and a recovery back to the pits.

Thus, speedo disconnection is considered a preventative way to avoid early retirement from racing. The same would also be true when on a track day.

#20. You'd still need recovery back to the pits if in the gravel to that extent. 

As for the debris damaging the speedo cable/sensor, "what are the chances of that?" as Harry Hill might say. 

After 9 years with regular TDs, it's never crossed my mind  

Anyway, maybe the OP will enlighten us? 

Yes, that was the reason given when I was in the Academy.

I think we all disconnected our speedos, so I don't know whether it would have been a problem or not! *wobble* However, bouncing over curbs and picking up gravel etc. *could* have fouled the cabling/sensor and at best stopped one's race, and at worst, caused an accident through losing drive in close quarters racing.  

The speed sensor as opposed to the speedo itself would have to be disconnected to alleviate shorts from damage to the sensor wiring. The sensor has it's own power feed that doesn't come from the speedo, but is combined into the general power feed to the instruments before connecting to the fuse.

Also, I think the problem with blowing the instrument fuse and the car then stops running is likely due to the immobiliser losing power, as the ECU power is supplied on a different fuse. This is perhaps backed up by the fact there is a "mystery" wire in the instrument power pigtail that doesn't have a device on the other end, likely the undocumented immobiliser power feed.

I had my speedo sensor blow a fuse.

The car runs perfectly fine. 

However the instruments are dead and the indicators except  hazard lights are dead as they go via tell tale in the rev counter.

Nothing to do with fuel pump,  I drove over 100 miles back from.the Taffia run .

I was told it was the fuel pump that shares a fuse with the speedo sensor (makes sense as they're in similar locations). So a short in the speedo sensor wiring - which is quite exposed - leads to loss of fuel pump and thus the race.

The connector is under the wing near the sensor. It's fairly obvious.

This is on a Sigma Ti-VCT car. Others no doubt vary.