Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Supersport 1800 6 Speed - Thoughts and Feedback

Nico506

• Area Representative

Hi All,

I have just aquired a new Seven S3 a supersport 1800 k series with 6 speed box, im interested to hear of other owners experience of this gearbox and whether worth changing the diff ratios or going for a type 9 box as i understand its more of blatting type set up via country lanes of which found the ratios best suited.  It might be my mistake as i thought the 6th gear might be like an over drive settling the rpm to 3000 , but no its like a caged animal at 5500 at 80 mph 

Are these 6 speeds like this or have many owners made modifications to make it more enjoyable.

Just keen to hear of others thoughts and experiences as im looking to use the car more for touring and travelling country roads etc with odd track day 

Thanks 

Hi, I wish I still had a six speed box car. Fantastic for driving on the twisty roads of Scotland. No issues with driving to Spain several times with the six speed with lots of motorway cruising, no issues with the engine revving higher than with my current car with a five speed type 9. Current car feels a tad flat with the standard type 9 ratios in my current car. Type 9 with other ratios may be a different story. I'd recomend sticking with the six. Feels a much nicer gear change too.

My car has a 6. It isn't a good long distance cruiser though bearable IMO. 70 is about 3800 rpm. 

Having driven a few 5 speed though, I wouldn't want to change. I love the 'One first and five second gears feel and find it massively better on a track. I too found the 5 speed a little 'flat'. 

For long distance cruising, which I don't do in the 7, I'm sure the 5 would be better 

From the OP description a change of final drive might help. 

Mine is a 1.8K supersport with a 6 speed and 3.9 diff. Sounds like what you probably have as it cruises at about 5 something at 70 odd. A 3.6 diff should help but will dull the acceleration a little.

I've driven it to France a couple of times and didn't find it an issue, earplugs in obviously but then I always use them.

I've not been bothered by the 6 speeder in cruising mode.  (tongue a bit in cheek)  there are two simple steps to remedy it.

Step 1, you need ear protection anyway in a 7, so get good hearing protection and you won't notice any excess engine noise.

Step 2, put some tape over the tacho so you aren't bothered by the readout.

Seriously, if you need to change, you should change the diff ratio to 3.6, but I'm not sure I'd bother as the 6 speed box is fabulous in my view (YMMV).

• Area Representative

Thanks everyone for the comments - really helpful and i'm deaf since birth so the noise isnt an issue really , other than it was a bit buzzy after doing 450 miles in it this weekend , but once got used the the gears and now that i understand it a bit better - ill enjoy it and I have another S7( for sale ) a 5 speed x flow which does seem flat but a completely different character in terms of pace and acceleration, and equally just as much fun too. Fantastic forum community this club has! 

• Area Representative

5 speed or 6 speed - it is a personal thing.

Having owned two K series with a 5 speed the box suited the engine fine. Touring was ok as well though one had to change down a cog more to make headway when loaded.

BUT now having owned a Duratec car with 6 speed for nearly eleven years I find this suited to the engine & touring is no problem what so ever. Not having an 'overdrive' top gear means the car can pull on demand often without selecting the next cog down. Not having to change down is as much to do with the Duratec torque available as well as the gearing.

RPM may be a bit higher at 75-80 mph cruising than the 5 speed on a K series but I got used to it.

Having just completed a 700 mile blat from Beaconsfield to St Davids then Snowdonia and home at the weekend, i can confirm that the 6 speed gearbox is superb through the twisty bits, i would have liked a 7th gear for the dual carriageways though!

My car (in 6th) was showing 2000rpm = 40mph 3000rpm = 60mph 4000rpm = 80mph 

The RPM is accurate and was recalibrated by Dave Walker @ Emerald a couple of weeks ago, though im not sure about the speedo as i think it exagerates (having checked against a speed app on my phone)

My question is, any suggestions on which ratio diff i have based on the above?

David

In the old days of my K series plus 6 speed I had 70 on my speedo and 4000rpm showing with 15 inch wheels and 45 profiles

I went to Duratec and 6 speed and 13in wheels with 60 profile (I think) then finally gave up and went 5 speed for sanity and hearing. The 6 speed is great for track etc but for long distance touring the 5 with long 1st and 5th just suited my requirement better. The ford box is not without it's issues though but my understanding was that parts for the 6 speed were getting problematic to source.

I like the laziness of the Duratec with the 5 speed. There's only one place I like a screamer

I've never felt uncomfortable with touring in a 6 speed k-series.  I made my tongue in cheek comments earlier, but I always wear hearing protection so don't get troubled by the noise of the engine as the higher revs.  Drove to Barcelona and back and due to some other travel challenges, did a lot of it on motorways and was fine.  Never even considered it a problem.

But others feel differently I know.