Click here if you are having website access problems ×

7" LED Headlamps

Pasha

"The only problem might be the lead time"

and the price. Wow. 

you can get JW Speaker ones for less than that (£620 a pair), and they're renowned to be the best. Wipac ones are about half that, and the ones from the "original cafe racer" are £105 for two and they're E-marked. 

I know you get what you pay for, but in this instance, unless they're gold plated, I doubt it. 

If I sound ungrateful, I'm not, and you comments are much appreciated. 

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My comment exactly. Anecdotal evidence that they're the best is useless. And they don't look that special. They look like what you get of you Google classic car 7" headlamp led replacement. At twice the price !

I have no issue spending money, ask my wife, but that's just laughable. 

Well, if they last several times longer than the less expensive competition or come with a much longer warranty, or are brighter, better focussed or something, fine. To an extent.  

Where are they made? Where are the competition made? 

What makes them 'the best'?

Very interest in this thread.

I have the same questions and concerns - there is a lot of choice and a wide range of prices, but how do we know which are the best?

I have 2 Jeeps that always get MOT'd between Christmas and New Year.  Currently, both have replacement LED bulbs in the existing 7inch round fittings.  They've been installed for years and give a great beam pattern with a brighter, whiter light.  I've been very pleased so a bit peeved that I might need to spend hundreds on replacing them.

Then in the summer I've the got the 5.75inch units in the Caterham 

Yes. More photographs of beam patterns would be very helpful.

I recommend taking them when only one side has been changed so that the left-right comparisons show Before and After.

But if that isn't possible then with colour balance and exposure locked so that the camera isn't trying as hard as it can to hide the difference!

Jonathan

• Leadership Team

I am running the Wisamic LED inserts with the Halo wired to the sidelights. E marked and I think I paid £112 for the pair, delivered.

Had them adjusted prior to the MOT, passed with no issues at all. They give a nice flat beam and I don't get flashed by every oncoming car (as I used to with the LED bulb only solution).

In the pub car park test my halos were brighter than quite a few other 7's dipped beams. Halos are wired into the sidelight circuit, using the red wire only. The black wire needs isolating with some tape.  

Garry

On the ones I have bought, it is the wire to make the halo lamps light yellow, so they can be white or yellow depending on which wire you feed the 12v to. I guess so you can use them as indicators, though the danger there is that the main lamp should also dim when they flashed, to give the best visibility of the indicator... and it doesn't, and I already have indicators.

I fitted lowered brackets & LED units in the summer. 

Haven't been through an MOT yet and like others, don't do too much night driving, but the difference to the standard candles is marked *thumbs_up_thumb*

bought from Cafe Racer - https://www.originalcaferacer.com/product/lotus-caterham-7-classic-car-led-headlight-cree-x-2-light-5-75%E2%80%B3-e-approved-530-copy/

Haven't read this entire thread, but thought I'd share!

caterhamfront.jpg.b373435141e9f55e039065d86e360c87.jpg

Thanks Neil, I appreciate it.  I'd like to use a proper DRL setup on the new build rather than continue to manually switch the dipped beams on/off for every drive.  I'm considering both these lights and small standalone units behind the grill.

-John