Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Winter Project - Titan LSD project

CtrMint

Mark, when it comes to fitting the LEDs, which is fairly straightforward, the CC instruction video leaves out certain things (I think there's been a change in the kit not noted in the video) 

Also, the CC instructions involve drilling several new holes in the rear lower chassis rail and fastening the new loom on that rail, right in all the road crap. 

It can be fitted over the top of the fuel tank quite easily to avoid both those issues. 

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Area Representative

Reading this thread I am having deja vu as all the discussion about diff out, in, what to & what not to employ has been gone over time & time again elsewhere in Tech Talk.

I suppose a refresh is no bad thing......

The statement that spring washers are totally useless & not worth using is up for debate. There is probably empirical evidence somewhere to back this up. From my experience a new spring washer is the best & cheapest option as this item will exhibit a good spring rate when flattened above that of a plain flat washer. Tension, expansion/contraction between joints especially those of dissimilar materials will be maintained especially under shock loads or expansion/contraction. 

Yes that opinion may be out of date but over time I have never seen a failure due to a spring washer only from incorrectly assembled components, incorrectly used fixings & incorrect torque loading.

In aviation spring washers have largely been superseded with stiff nuts, lock washers, castellated nuts with split pins & other mechanical locking devices. But spring washers are still employed in tertiary areas. They do pop up in older aircraft, even on wheel hub assemblies.

Hypothetically if a car were inspected for insurance purposes after an incident it could be deemed as incorrectly assembled if it was noted that spring washers were omitted from any assembly that required them as per factory spec ??? 

If Caterham fitted it, it is most likely to be a Quaife ATB, although this was around the time when changes were being made. I also thought R300 were open diffs at that time with the LSD as an option, so it really depends on the purchase and upgrade history of the car. If it 'ticks' when hot and being pushed, then it'll be the ATB.

If you research spring washers you might come across:

"Helical spring lock washers have been in use for well over 100 years. They are still used on many applications in the belief that they will will "lock" the nut/bolt to the joint and prevent loosening. The body of evidence, based upon both experience and experimental results, is that they do not prevent loosening and can be shown to actually speed up the rate of loosening in many cases. Junker originally showed in his work published in 1969 that these washers are ineffective in preventing loosening. Joints containing these washers have come loose resulting in structural failure leading to both material and human loss."

You'll also come across articles that sing their praises and go to great lengths about how they work as springs etc to take up shockloads and expansion/contraction but just as many saying they only actually work, if at all, because the cut edges dig in to the nut and substrate and discourage turning! 

Who knows????!!!!!

#74 - If you drop Martin Phipps an email (Caterham archivist) with your chassis number, he can tell you what the original shipped unit was.  Martin.Phipps@Caterham.com.  He was really helpful when i asked about mine (Ford diff with Titan LSD for me)

I would say there is, but you might get away with it. 

That part of the assembly doesn't line up too well and that bolt often (always?) needs a good whack with a hammer to get it through. Having said that it will probably pull back in line using the same method. 

If you remove it the diff will only be supported by the two lower bolts and it could move. As I said, you'd probably get it to go back in line but then you might have disturbed the two front bolts and they should be taken out and refitted! 

I'm not sure I'd go to that length at this stage, just change the nut and the washer at that end and keep an eye on it. 

@ #84

Thank you Dan

I'll drop Martin an email - much appreciated. 

Having gained input from Peter Scott and spoken to Ian at PT Sports Car (where I bought mine from), I'm expecting Martin to confirm that it has a Ford Diff Housing with ZF internals. 

Though based on its age I foresee a winter Diff rebuild for peace of mind. Hence looking forward to following Marks Blog 

Chris 

@ #90 No problem Chris.  I have all sorts of noises and clattering coming from mine (3000 miles but apparently its ok?), so im considering a Tracsport, but ideally i need someone to get in there and make sure that its all adjusted properly first and then take it from there!

Peter,
Which Diff Type is this.
Appears I need to take mine out to establish what it is.
So far Ive learnt that as its a Model Year 2010 R300D it could/should be a Titan, but Quaife has also been suggested.

Guess there is only one way to find out :D