Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Winter Project - Titan LSD project

CtrMint

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I changed my LSD last year, I simply removed the callipers & cable tied them to the springs to keep them out of the way. I didn't disconnect the brake pipes from the callipers. There's sufficient flex in the pipes to be able to do this without putting a permanent bend in them. 

It was Peter Scott's suggestion (ScottR400D). He provided me with an invaluable step by step guide!

Good luck! *thumbs_up_thumb*

Haha, oops! *laugh* Read the whole thread Nigel! *smash*

Thanks Peter, I was wondering why no one had suggested that. 

I swapped my brake lines for flexible hoses earlier this year. I guess there are pros & cons to that modification, but I think on balance it’s a good idea.

I made some good progress this evening.   The offside driveshaft is now out, along with the ear and the brake assembly which I  removed from the dedion as one piece.   The driveshaft looks unmarked and in good condition, as do the bearing on the ear.  

The one thing I can't figure out is how to disconnect the handbrake cable from the brake assembly.  It's probably super simple, but I just couldn't unclip the rectangular eyelet from the hook on the brake.   Could someone point me in the in right direction please.

Thanks

You'll need enough slack to pull the cable out of its housing on the caliper, then rotate the eyelet through 180 deg to free it from the clip.

Normally, you'd do this by unwinding the big white knurled adjustment nut where the cable disappears into the tunnel.

JV

Thanks both, ended up pulling the pin and removing the entire assembly.   I found the cable had a kink and damage to the plastic sheath.  To prevent an potential balance issue, I've opted to replace the cable.  As result the project has been delayed.

Quick update.

Old diff is out, drained and the back plate removed.  I've then wiped the diff internals down for inspection, though I openly admit I'm not sure what I'm looking for in terms of faults.  It certainly looks ok, i.e. nothing loose or broken.  The oil had an interesting finish to it, certainly some traces of metal, but nothing significant.  I've run a magnetic pick up tool through the oil and nothing notable.  I also put a magnetic parts tray under the drain pan, again nothing amazing.  I do admit I'm not really sure how the oil should really look.

I'll upload a slide deck to Youtube rather than spam images to here.  Would love to hear opinions.

It wasn't all good news though.  Removal of the shafts etc all went well, and once I committed to disassembling the handbrake assembly (thanks btw) I got the diff out with ease.  Unfortunately I found a nasty kink in the handbrake cable  and some heavy marring and compression on the plastic outer.  Not ideal, so I've very reluctantly opted to stop, and source a replace cable.  Very disappointing as I'd spent a long time preparing for this weekend, aim being to get the new diff in and the car built. 

I'm not sure why the damage occurred to the handbrake cable, I've never had any issues with it during use, and it was balanced during its Manx IVA.  Bit of a head scratcher.

Interesting you mention a kink in the handbrake cable. I have a imbalance problem with the drivers side being stronger. I removed the tunnel cover and found a nasty looking kink in the inner cable close to the pulley area. I plan to replace the cable over winter but wondered how it came about - to avoid the same thing happening to the new one. Does your cable cross over just after the pulley (to stop it scraping on each side of the chassis)?

CC parcel arrived this week.  New handbrake cable and the 5 speed gearbox spacer.  Not sure if I will be inclined to work on the 420R this weekend.  I did tell myself to take my time over the process and enjoy it.  It's pretty cool too, reminds me of my original build.