Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Winter storage

GulfSeven

• Leadership Team

#24 So, Geoff, why the difference in periods between piston & gas turbine?  And should I use the aircraft period (2 weeks) as my running interval, rather than 1 month?

#25 2 years ago I didn't stop, and it ended up at Arch, then TSK and I rebuilt it!

*rofl*

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I thought the perceived wisdom wasnt to run it during winter hibernation, unless you could drive it and get it properly up to temperature?  Condensation in the engine, idling with cold oil, slowly getting to temperature etc?  I usually just leave it alone, occasionally turning the engine over by hand or on the starter motor.   

Found the fuel inertia cut off switch, took 20 seconds to get oil pressure, then she started a dream. Ran for a good while at steady 95-100 deg. Tyres pumped up a bit more and set back on tyres savers (the cheap yellow ones on amazon). Now waiting for the roads to clear up a bit. 

#29. Toughie, where did I say ‘it makes little difference’?

I think I said ‘it may not do too much harm but doesn’t do any good’. I stand by that but it’s not what you’ve said. 

A couple of other points just in case there’s doubt. Condensation occurs when warm air meets a cold interface. Switch off a hot engine and if it cools to a temperature low enough condensation will form. It can only form from the air/gas already in the engine. It can’t get into the engine from outside. 

The stuff we see billowing out of our exhausts when they’re cold isn’t condensation. It’s water vapour from the combustion process. It’s still there when the engine’s hot, just in the form of steam which you can’t see. Even a hot engine will show visible vapour at the exhaust in cold weather.  

Also, if it’s important to run an engine every two or three weeks how do we all manage in these days of Covid or when we travel? I’ve been leaving cars of all makes, for periods of several weeks at a time, for years with never a problem. 

I’m not being deliberately obtuse, I’d really like a definitive answer but no one seems to be able to give that or even provide much substantiated evidence one way or the other so I’ll stick with what seems to be the lesser of two evils as far as I can tell!

• Leadership Team

Scott

My Apologies.  I interpreted your comment,

"It may not do too much damage starting every month but it’s not doing any good and certainly isn’t necessary, IMO and according to all the research I’ve done."

... in my own words.  I'm sorry if I've misrepresented you.  I also apologise if I've implied that you were being obtuse.  You made it quite clear that you felt the adherents of both approaches tend to be firmly encamped, with little substantiated evidence one way or the other. 

I'm certainly not offering any evidence either way, just an ignorant soul seeking what guidance I can.

No worries and you haven’t implied that I was being obtuse, that was my own thought that what I am saying might come across as being deliberately argumentative!! I’m really not but I’m just not at all convinced by the arguments either way, especially for the benefits of starting up regularly. 

• Leadership Team

One current member, a former traffic policeman, has told me that the salt is mixed with molasses to make it stick to the roads for longer, so it might be there for much longer than appearance might suggest. 

So perhaps a really good downpours help to clear it.  Many of us have certainly 'enjoyed' those lately.

Totally agree, this is short sighted council budgeting.  Its not as if the salt wont keep to the next season. 

My first car was all year round car, and never again. You can see salt damage even after one trip.  Zinc coating on nut / bolts and washers is only rated for a few hours of protection in salt water, and you can see the effect after a single trip.

I wait for at least 1 week clear from salt spreading, and plenty of rain fall before my first trip of the season.   I watch Twitter for the start and end end of gritting in my area.  

I believe its personal preference to drive over winter or not.   You shorten the time between rebuilds due to corrosion and skin bubbling, but you increase your driving time,   When (and if relevant) you reduce the market for potential buyers, but that's no different to smoking in a normal car.   Finally I think you increase your chances of an accident, with cold tyres and greasy roads, but nothing that can't be mitigated. 

Well I caved and ran mine up today. It was a good opportunity to get it out from under the cover and on to the drive in the sun and breeze while I gave the garage floor a clean. I left it running for a good 45 minutes to get up to temperature and put it back in the garage with a nice hot exhaust. I'll probably not start it again now until the Spring though.