Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Winter storage

GulfSeven

• Leadership Team

I don't intend dragging this thread out, but perhaps as a closing comment...

In view of ScottR400's perfectly valid point, that no-one appears to have presented any scientific evidence either way regarding the benefit or harm of periodically starting the engine, I had a quick trawl through the inteweb.

The same argument appears to raise its head in every motoring quarter, with protagonists on both sides, but no-one providing any evidence.

More than one source reports different service centres of the same manufacturer giving conflicting opinions.

So I decided to contact (one of?) the world's biggest engine builder, Ford, manufacturer of many, if not most, of the engines in our cars, mine included.

And, after some delay, what was their reply?

Good afternoon Alan, 

Thank you for your email dated 01 February 2021, regarding the maintenance of your Caterham vehicles; we appreciate you taking the time to contact us directly with your queries. 

Whilst the engine in question is manufactured by Ford Motor Company, we would be required to direct you to contact the manufacturer of the vehicle for assistance; as they are best equipped to help answer your queries and how the Ford engine works in conjunction with the vehicle. 

We hope this information is of assistance, but apologise that we are unable to answer your queries directly on this occasion; should you require support with another matter in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us on either 0203 564 4444 or UKCRC1@FORD.COM.

Kind regards,

Steven Jarrad
Ford Customer Relationship Centre

*mad*

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I’m not really surprised they answered like that. Circumstances vary so much they’re unlikely to commit to anything. 

In any case they probably have cars in storage for many weeks or months, especially just now, so probably couldn’t say they need starting up every week or two. 

• Leadership Team

True enough.  Damned frustrating, though.  It seems to me that you've probably offered the most detailed explanation thus far, for which I'm grateful, but you'd think that somewhere there would be some sort of research papers on the matter that we could look up.

My seven, which I built in 1998, usually gets a wash when sorn and put away in a dry, heated garage. This is the first year I've over inflated the tyres - never had a flatspot problem. I generally never start it between Oct and Mar, or even move the car. I change the oil / service it March / April every year though I recognise this may be better done when I take it off the road in Autumn (clean oil wont be acidic & attack white metal bearings). Annual mileage (sadly) is on average 1000 miles.

22 years of doing this has resulted in no adverse effects. I did experience the brake master cylinder going a bit weird 2 or 3 years ago, in that the pedal went to the floor after winter lay up. I replaced the fluid which sorted it but I changed the MC for an uprated AP one at the earliest opportunity. 

If people want to start their engines thats fine. If I did this I'd let it get up to temperature and let the rad fan kick in a couple of times. If condensation is a worry, take the oil cap off while it cools down.

Just my 0.02p worth

Ian

My father (shielding) contacted BMW for advice on long term storage for his x3. They advised to use a trickle charger and leave the car alone. If starting the car, don't let it idle and drive no harder than 4000 revs initially and for at least 30 miles. 

just sharing!