Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Front brake replacement

McBreadhead

Firstly after a long absence, I'm back. Been getting muddy with off road shenanigans amongst other things but nice to be back and hope everyone is well.

Secondly and partly the reason for the absence is that, despite many attempts to cure squeaking from the front hubs, the RH front brake eventually seized in a cloud of smoke. No drama, just pulled off the road. 

So I'm going to need new discs, calipers and pads. Caterham charge £250+ a side for just the calipers I think, so probably £650 all in incl pads. 

Car is an uprated xflow road car running 165bhp on 14" x 6" rims so considering options:

1) could buy some second hand standard calipers and fit new discs

2) buy new all Caterham at £650+

3) buy new Hi-spec calipers 2pot (or uprated 4pot which only cost £174/side)

4) buy uprated new Caterham kit for £1,100+

I've heard it said the std calipers are good for up to 150bhp so maybe an upgrade beckons. Interested in any experience of similar and what upgrades have impacted rear brake balance.

Thanks in advance.

McB

Hi McB,

Before you start spending a fortune, I recently changed my front pads to Mintex 11440, these were recommended/supplied by Simon Rogers and provided a significant improvement. I have a 420R with the uprated master cylinder but standard discs and calipers, i have DS2500 rear pads.

I was considering upgrading my calipers and discs prior to this change.

Hope this helps, Rob.

Richard, thanks haven't been able to get through to C7 parts so was extrapolating with what info I had. Those prices sound a lot more reasonable.

Rob, yes the Mintex 1144s would be my pad of choice.   The uprated master cylinder sounds interesting

SM25T, thanks and what would you budget for that Caliper/disc upgrade?

Tell us more about the HiSpec rear callipers.  Ive got the 4 pots on the front with Mintex 1144 pads, with standard sierra brakes on the back.  Wondering about saving some unsprung weight at the rear and fitting a HiSpec rear.  How does the handbrake mechanism work, and do the standard CC hoses work?    

Tom, the Ultralite SVA caliper is a direct replacement for the Sierra caliper, it would be a good time to change from solid lines to flexible brake lines. Hi Spec uses a banjo connection so that is different from OEM. For the handbrake cable it must be possible to modify the caliper lever to accept the OEM cable. http://www.hispeccalipers.co.uk//svaultralite.html

Cheers Elie, so new hoses needed - these could be made up by Think Automotive easily enough. I’ve already got flex hoses, so that unfortunate I guess. The standard handbrake cable have an eyelet hoop on the cable which hooks onto the lever. I wonder if the cable could be attached to the HiSpec calliper with a small nut & bolt through the cable eyelet and lever. 

So are they ‘better’ than the Sierra callipers, aside from a weight saving and looking shiny? 

Tom, the Sierra calipers have 1 piston and a lot of moving parts whereas the Hi Spec has 2 pistons with no moving parts that makes a big difference. For the hand brake, other you use a bolt trough the eyelet or open up the hole in the lever like the one on the Sierra caliper.

#9 - 7 Wonders - do you happen to know what piston sizes you have front and back? I have gone 4 pot front, standard disc size, thinking about the back now - but to keep balance reasonable any thoughts you have on rear piston size would be helpful.
Thanks

I reconditioned both calipers when one of the pistons stuck. Not too difficult and not expensive to do (although one caliper did need to be split to get a seized piston out). Used some red rubber grease under the dust covers to help combat new corrosion. Changed to Mintex M1144 pads from standard at the same time and new flexible lines as well. I looked at using new replacement calipers too but these lacked the quality of the original Girling ones - at least to look at. Checked for any run-out on the discs after cooking one of them but they were fine. Another narrow escape from that upgraditis path.