Click here if you are having website access problems ×

15 inch tyres???

johnL

Hi all

I know this is a well worn subject but I am looking to change the tyres on my 140 supersport.

I have 15 inch wheels and don't want the expense of buying a set of 13 inch rims so wish to keep what I have.

At present I have CR500's 195/45x15 which are getting a little old, hence the reason for the change, I have tried a set of Avon ZZS's but they weren't anywhere as good as the CR500's for grip and feel so the CR500's went back on. I have been looking at the new road legal Toyo R888R's, I use the car for sunny days and blats on the road but at present don't plan to do any track days at present.

Has anyone tried the new R888R or is there a better alternative out there?

Hope everyone is well and staying safe.

John

I have the R888Rs in 13" and in the dry they are brilliant. I used to have the old pattern R888s in both 14" and 13" and were similarly good.

In the wet you have to be careful with throttle inputs and watch out for standing water. On a wet trackday at Cadwell I found they grip particularly well but let go suddenly.

Car is 98 dedion with 1.6 rover engine & supersport cams (so low end in the performance stakes)

Reading the forum over the years, when you go to 50 series tyres, depending on shoulder profile they can sometimes rub on the wingstay when cornering and be challenging to actually fit on the car.

Another vote for T1Rs but they are at the opposite end of the spectrum from "road legal track tyres" that grip like glue then let go. Definitely not got the ultimate cornering grip of sticky rubber but I love them on the road, you can feel the car moving around and they are very progressive, no surprises. Great for touring, think I paid just over £40 a corner and with several thousand miles a year there's barely any wear.

...tried a set of Avon ZZS's but they weren't anywhere as good as the CR500's for grip and feel...

That surprises me.  I went to 15" ZZS from CR500 on my R400D and find them excellent.  Are you sure your geometry is correct?

JV

Thanks for the offer Garth, but everything I will find will be old stock, so I am looking for a change hence thinking about the R888r's

Hi JV, geometry is spot on having had the car set up at DPR in Redhill, Surrey. Derek did an excellent job, on the CR500's it rides well with lots of feedback. With the ZZS's fitted the front end seemed to wash out and did'nt give a lot of confidence.

Wrightpayne are the R888R's good on the road? The only doubt I am having is as they are more of a track day tyre that road driving won't let them get up to a working tempreture. My Supersport is a 140 Sigma so not as temperamental on the throttle as some of the more powerful models. 

I've got R888R, albeit on 13" wheels and probably higher profile - running 185/60 on front 205/60 on rears - and I've found the grip excellent for road use in dry and wet/damp conditions - not been out in heavy rain  (with brooklands you tend to hide under the nearest tree anyway in rain)

Thanks for the feedback guys

I think I will give the R88R's a try and see how they drive.

That is of course when we can actually get out and go for a drive! *driving*

Be careful and stay safe everyone.

John

• Area Representative

Ian - Just looked up the Toyo Web Site and it shows TR1 rather than T1R.

Is this (TR1) an updated tyre on the T1R, if so, is it a good replacement for CR500 195/45/15, which are no longer available. I don't do track days, just road use.

Plus the Avon replacements are 195/50/15 section and this will hit the inside of the front wheel bracket that holds the wings  and it will all need changing.

Quite an expensive undertaking when these tyres are cheap.

Trust all well.

regards

Piers

Plus the Avon replacements are 195/50/15 section and this will hit the inside of the front wheel bracket that holds the wings  and it will all need changing.

In my case, there was enough clearance (just) under the front wings,

JV

My experience of Toyo T1Rs has been nothing but appalling. I think some have commented that the compounds in later tyres have had to change making them, in my experience, borderline lethal.  No grip, no confidence when braking etc.

i quickly switched to Toyo R1R and have never looked back, confidence restored. Terrific tyre.  Please don't be tempted by the cheap cost of T1Rs, a real false economy.