Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Catch Can Questions

CtrMint

JV, if by Dzus bracket you mean the rear catch for the nose cone

I do, yes.  Apologies for the tech terminology -- the catch with the curly spring inside is called a Dzus fastener.

That SV photo is mightily misleading.  I suggest you ask CC for the S3 equivalent -- if they have one!

JV

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before I email him, one thing that occurs to me, how was this R300 style rad used on the R300.  I'm of the understanding the chassis hasn't changed, so surely the issue of being unable to get a rad hose on sufficiently has come up before?  Of course I'm ignoring the original thread topic of the catch tank here and focussing on the limited overlap on the rad hose itself as shown in my earlier pics.

The contact have for McDonald is very old so may well have changed.

I had a lot of e mails to him way back when we had issues with the new " BMW' differentials/carrier and their ( CC)

failure to let us know what was happening and when .

I was never concerned with the issue just a timetable and communication - their biggest failure in my view is communicating and I did let him know. Deafness....

grahamm@caterham.co.uk

Its a pity you are over the water as another set of eyes and fingers is always helpful. Are there not a few 7s on the Island ?

I had to change the radiator on my 620R due to a leak and the new one was different to the original in terms of fixings  which meant the hose didn’t fit the spigot very well .

i found that cutting a flat across one side of that bobbin allowed the hose to slip right along the radiator pipe and the jubilee clip then fitted well .

Doing this won’t get over your catch tank issue but I suspect that’s a non issue anyway as I’ve never had to empty mine in 4 years ( and if I did would use a syringe to suck it out . ) 

PS the catch tank on the 620 is fitted to the side of the pedal box . Could you fit yours there ? 

Looking at your photos again, admittedly with my failing eyesight, but it looks like you need to gain very little extra clearance to get things to fit..  In addition to the above, have you considered loosening the bobbins and moving things to the right a little,  and / or taking a little metal of the upper innermost edge of the chassis mounting bracket?

There isn't any wiggle room in the bracket, that side happens to be the worst side anyway as the welding against the port also interferes with the bolt head and prevents it from going fully across but I don't believe it would help much as we're talking only a few mill anyway.

I'm not eager to start hacking the chassis for a few mill on the bracket too, I'd then need to cut a significant amount out of the bobbin too.

Not sure if it’s helpful or not but you talked earlier in the thread about getting some comparative photos.

this is my car. It started life as a 2013 SuperSport R which means it effectively had the R300 duratec engine configuration.

its since been upgraded to r400 spec by Caterham. They kept my original radiator and catch tank arrangement and have added an oil cooler which sits in front of the original radiator.

this arrangement works well so I’m not sure why they felt the need to change the radiator design. Unless of course they haven’t and had simply run out of the original radiator type and then supplied you the next best thing? 

28522F1C-C4A9-44EF-8E6C-4CCEEA74E1BF.thumb.jpeg.cf822a6adee5209337515f64ab95248e.jpeg

Tom

Here’s a close up of the catch tank. Plenty of clearance with this arrangement so I can see why you’re annoyed with what they have provided.

If they insist on this radiator being what they will supply from now on then it looks like they need to redesign the top hose at the very least.

F0061ADF-C194-4DAE-B772-52F9DE3FB022.thumb.jpeg.45d2476a18813baf2c7e3539620a65ea.jpeg

Half the thickness and with a decent notch cut out of the top and it might just work. Doesn’t excuse the poor fitment of the hose though.

it sounds like the nosecone doesn’t currently fit, any ideas which bit of the car the nose is fouling on?

It'd be interesting to learn at what stage it does not fit.  When I lost my nose cone virginity it took me a couple of attempts before figuring out that the I did not have the profiles around the ARB aligned.  Tom talking of photos does your coolant need topping up?