Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Cracked Windscreen

O.G.

I have managed to crack my SV heated windscreen.

Has anybody any advice on sourcing a replacement glass and possibly a seal?

The job look relatively straight forward but are there are any tricks to it?

O.G.

Thanks Guy's.

I'm awaiting a reply from National Windscreens for either them to supply a glass and seal or do the job.

I understand the wiring will includes fitting Bullet Connectors.

Salvaging and gluing the mirror might be interesting.

O.G.

I’ve had two cracked windscreens in just over a year on my SV. I went through Adrian Flux insurance. Paid the £80 excess and they came out and replaced the full windscreen, frame, seal and refitted spade connectors. 

I now have two old windscreens that I was thinking about having tempered glass fitted for £30 as spares.

• 3 weeks later...

I finally went through the insurance but unfortunately did not have a good experience.

Two and a half weeks. Numerous chasing calls. Most of the office staff did not understand anything about car windscreens let alone the specifics of Caterhams.

When I finally got the name and number of someone who did know something I still had to chase otherwise it would not have been ready for this Bank Holiday. The final straw was the person who came could not have done the wiring connectors. We fitted it ourselves.

Anybody else had similar experiences?

O.G.

Going through same experience on my 160 - 2 weeks and counting!

Naively thought insurers windscreen contractors would order an assembly from CC, but no, took screen back to their Bristol HQ and tried fitting new glass to old frame/old rubber; they botched it and frame was damaged in transit. Local branch now expecting delivery of an glass/frame assembly from CC next week. I took the knee plates off myself so local Fitter could get at the pillar nuts and I will refit them.

Can't fault the Fitter though, he knows his stuff on Caterhams and will be connecting/heat shrinking the 'rats tail' to existing wiring as the connectors to the loom under the dash do not fit through the hole/grommet.