Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Xflow plug fouling -what do people use n their cars ?

HendrixsWhiteStratReturns

Morning

As some of you know I had a lot of issues with the car over the last 12 months until James Whiting got hold of it and sorted her out once and for all. I had the chokes taken of the Webers when they were rebuilt last last year but the car does seem fussier/harder to start/needs a lot of cranking.

Consequently I get lots of plug fouling issues (sooty) due to the mix being rich on start up/idle. I'm running NGK B8ECS plugs but notice that some Xflow bods reckon BP7ES plugs suit the 1700 Supersprint better. Maybe I need to get them balanced on a r/road

Out of interest, and addressed to the Xflow people:

1). Which plug do you prefer ?

2). What's your Xflow starting technique to minimise fouling ?

Ta !

HWS

Just had a look but can not find anything, sorry. I remember there was a 'heat' range for different plugs and once you had the tuning right you just kept changing to 'hotter' or 'colder' ones till you found the one for your engine.

The experts will be back with information for you I am sure.

• Area Representative

I had a Xflow for 11 years always used NGK B8ECS  Starting the car always pushed pedal down about 5 times then fired up , picking it up on the throttle as soon as she fired.

If you can find someone with a rolling road who can set up Webber’s I would go that route.

Kingsley. 

Yes I have had this problem but not with a 1700. My 1700Xflow always used B8ECS, however when I restored my Lotus with an old 1600 I naturally put B8ECS in but she kept on fouing up. Eventually I found that I had the wrong plugs, changed them and not a problems since. Probably wont help with a 1700  but I will let you know the plugs, but not in this weather.

BP7ES plugs here. I mainly do touring these days but also use the car for the odd sprint, hillclimb and trackday. In the past swapped to 8s for competition, than back to 7s at the end of the day. When I ran the car on carbs I used a choke (Dellortos) for cold starting, half pressed the throtlle and hoped! Good luck!

Andy