Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tyre choice for 14 inch rims

Adrian Bridge

Hi - advice please.

I bought my first Caterham last summer - 1996 1600 Supersport. 14 x 6 rims with 9 year old Pirelli 196/60 R14 tyres that need replacing. Widetrack front suspension (I dont know the damper / spring set up) and de dion rear. I intend to get a proper chassis set up in due course but need to think about what to do about the wheels / tyres before then.

So far I am feeling my way with weekend road use and cant see myself doing anything serious on the track.

Changing to 13 inch Apollos and ZZS tyres would cost approx £1000 so I would like to keep the 14 inch rims if I can find decent grippy tyres for wet and dry to fit. I know ZZS and Toyo do not fit 14 inch rims. I read the topic about Uniroyal rainexpert3. How do people rate these? Can anyone recommend other brands that I might consider? 

Many thanks

14" wheels, safe on wet public roads and maybe some trackdays?

There's a lot of us in that position, and a vast amount of advice and opinion in the archives. I'd start here. If you want to find views on specific tyres I suggest using the external search linked from the second item in my tagline below.

Jonathan

I've just fitted a set of 185/60 14 toyo r888r to my 2016 270s. The car came (in kit form) with Avon zt5 tyres. On the road and normal driving they were, let's say adequate but on the track (Which I've done 3 now) they were woeful.  Haven't been out on the toyos yet, but they certainly look good. Just need to sell the Avons on now as they're taking up garage space. 

As an alternative to the R888Rs, I have Nankang NS-2R tyres fitted which have been suitable for fast road use and have a bit more tread than the Toyos for wet conditions.

They also stood up well to the tarmac lake at the 60th anniversary last year, worth a look at depending on your use.

Nankang also do the AR-1 in 185/60/R14 which is a much more track focussed tyre, though I've not heard many reviews on these yet.

Touring in the UK, I've had to drive through some flooded roads in summer too *smile*

If you're looking for a tyre that gives plenty of warning before it lets go, and will be safe in any road condition (excluding ice/snow) then buy Rain Expert 3s. I've just ordered a new set, as I really liked the last lot. They're good value and mine have survived several track days and handling events.

Rain expert v a021 in the dry = less grip, softer sidewall (I run the tyre pressures a couple of psi higher to compensate) so a bit more squirmy but better ride and less noise. With 125bhp I find the grip/power balance good fun with plenty of warning near the limit.

If you are worried by laps times, look elsewhere.

• Area Representative
Yes.

I loved 21Rs and used them for a decade or more. If they were e marked I would continue to use them. (I am conservative sometimes). I could wear out a set in a year.

I hope to wear out the Rainexpert 3 tyres but sadly they will last longer, which I rather take as a bad sign. I very much hope that they are soft enough to wear out in a couple of years.

Why do not use a Falken Ziex ZE914 Ecorun in 14" , I have them in 13" . 

They replace my old Bridgestone RE 720 and they seems to be very good in all weather.

Great comfort too . (more than the Bridgestone and far more than the Yoko 048 )

All the semi slick tyre are good for the dry and tricky for the wet .  

Cheap price in 185/60/14  for a sport tyre useable for a trackdays .  French Touring car uses them for races . They advise me this tyre .  But I haven't use them on a track yet .

Personally I prefer a less sticky tyre with my old 1989 Sprint Caterham 

• 5 years later...

I am going for some new retro Yokohama A008s, for my SuperSprint on 15", they are also available in 195/60R14.  Re released in 2019 they are not going to be the best in the wet, but they are going to look the part on a 90s car.  Although I am a fan of ZZRs and R888R etc, they just look wrong to my eye on older cars.  These grip levels are for modern track focused cars. 

Thanks Chris, not a lot of reviews out there on them other than for minis. See 185 60 14" listed on the website. Nice they are catering for classics.

Seems 3 other options.

1. Rainsports but i think they could be closer to the standard Avons

2. Nankangs but seen a few reviews saying heavy and unpredictable in the wet.

3. Toyo R888r which are looking the default option in 14" so far for me. 

Rob

I've recently seen people talking about Yokohama Advan A052 tyres which have recently become available in 185/60/R14. They're fairly big money and not many reviews from Caterham drivers but look like a semi slick style tyre from the tread pattern.

"Nankangs but seen a few reviews saying heavy and unpredictable in the wet."

I've used them since replacing AO21s a couple of years ago. No handling issues in wet conditions including heavy rain and lots of standing water..