Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tyre rubbing on front wingstay

MBB

Putting some new to me wheel/tyres on and the front right is rubbing badly on the wing stay

36262531425_cebdd81831_c.jpg

Is there an easy fix for this?

The left hand side has about 2mm clearance

The wheels in question - old wheels on the back

35429824294_c493241151_c.jpg

Front shot

36263480185_8bcf6dcff6_c.jpg

Old wheels were minilights with Avon ZV3 165/60R14 tyres on

New wheels have Toyo Proxes T1R 205/45R16 87w - they were previously on a S3 without any problems as far as I know.  Brought off Baz, whos a club member

These look like black-painted HPCs? After having lived with them on an SV, I can't recommend them. They're much less forgiving of uneven road surfaces and low grip situations than smaller lighter wheels. I'd gently suggest that the car will prefer to be driven much more conservatively than previously. All IMO.

You should consider why 16inch wheels were discontinued on a 7....as clearly they do not improve the dynamics of the car, and only a blind man would consider they improve the appearance IMHO of course.

By the way I built an HPC with 16 inch wheels......so I do know the difference...

I do try Colin.

The reality is that the car works better on 13 inch wheels, is ok for touring on 15s, but 16s...no way...... which is why so few cars are still on them...

Never nice to hear if a chap has spent his hard earned but hey ho...

I'm going to pick up some spacers from Baz this weekend, they were fitted to his car when he brought it with these wheels.

Never really liked the minilights, but its taken me 6 years to get round to changing them.  The new wheels are a bit of an experiment to see if they work, if not I'll sell them on and keep looking.

Car is 99% used on the road so track performance is not a priority.