Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Replacement Light Blocks

philwaters

This has been on one of the Facebook groups but now that I've got some detail (i.e. prices) I thought I'd post it here.

I made these a good few years ago (http://tinyurl.com/jj9zt9s) and have been asked again if I could make up a new batch.

NOTE: Changed to Mild Steel for painted black & Stainless for polished versions, not aluminium. They are a bit heavier, but still lighter and much nicer than the horrible rubber blocks

Cost for a pair, delivered within the UK via 1st Class Post, would be £27.50 if we can get 20 pairs.
What I haven't included is a length of rubber to go between it and the wing - I have used the SVA stuff that Caterham sell on mine. If people want it included then I can look into supplying that as well - please say and I'll go with the majority.

Now - a little bit of bad news. The original design was a pain to make, and we had a fair few rejects where the aluminium welding distorted the visible top face. To get around this, we are going to do it slightly differently (basically poke the mounting strip through the unit, plug weld on the outer surfaces and then dress the welds flat on a linisher) but it means that we can't do the polished version this time as he can't polish out the scratch marks from the linisher to a mirror finish.
The solution to this is that we go with the option of a 'Chrome' paint finish. Now, I haven't seen it in the flesh, but was told that whilst it isn't on par with a true Chrome finish it is quite close, it just has the look of a painted surface in terms of surface flatness. Alternatively, we could pick a silver colour instead.
The other option, I guess, is that we get an unfinished unit and the end user (that means you lot) polishes them up by hand using wet'n'dry and then polish - it just isn't cost effective to have this done by a supplier. My issue with this option is that if you can't get them as good as you want you'll be unhappy and that's not something I want.
Obviously, this doesn't effect the black versions at all.

The awkward bit: Having been involved in a few bulk buys and having know people get a little caught out, I'd really like funds upfront - if we get 20 pairs then I'd be paying out £400 so I can't then afford for people to disappear into the ether leaving me with 'spares' that I've got to try to sell. Hope people understand that.

Let me know if anyone is interested and I can add you to the list (obviously if you post of teh facebook topic then please don't on here as I won't know who's who!)

http://www.our-nest.co.uk/Caterham/Images/Lb2.JPG

Cheers

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all,

Thanks for the interest - been a bit blown away to be honest!

I'm just putting a spreadsheet together online listing choices, etc, which I'll share this evening and will also share the payment methods (paypal or bank transfer)....

Phil

TomB - you'll have to be careful, far less traction with all that weight removed at the back end!

All, sorry for the delay - I've now put a list together for all the people wanting a set (or multiple) - can I ask that people check the list for the following:
a) You are on the list
b) I have your request correct
c) You don't have any ? against your request - please let me know the answer
d) payment details are at the bottom of the list.

Where rubber is requested I have added £1 on for this to cover the cost.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16p-26ra06UCO8irbK1Eb7ccyFME4EDek6VhALr7QKZs/edit?usp=sharing

Not sure what I've let myself in for, buy hay-ho... :-)