Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Brands 29th of July

Doctor

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To Everyone at the Brands today,

Thank you for a great time.  A special thank you to Tony, Bob and Rob in garage 10 and the guys who chatted to me in garage 9 and 11.  I can't remember all the names but thanks for the tools, advice and general good chat.  Hope I can catch up with you guys again.

I had a great morning untill I lost the exhaust packing and was black flagged for noise.  No worries, straight down to Sevens and Classics who immediately offered me an exhaust to borrow for the afternoon.

Another item to add to the list of 'to do' ;)

All the best,

Robert

Thanks Andy for organising, What a great day! Despite the forecast saying rain, it stayed dry and warm all day - perfect!! And our group managed to not have any red flags all day, unlike the other two...

One slight gripe... I'm sure it's a beginners mistake (we were all beginners once) but a couple of drivers were making their powerful 7's very difficult to pass and holding up lots of people for far too many corners (and it wasn't just one session...). Lap times are a combination of corners and straights and if cars are catching you, please let them past. We can all drive quickly in a straight line...

Gripe over.

Simon

Had an fantastic day, thanks to Jeff and Jeff for being great garage buddies.

got some great video to bore the family with, just uploaded one of the sessions when i had worked out where i was going. 

not sure what youtube has done to the quality as its HD on the laptop.

Simon,

As an owner of what probably constitutes a powerful 7 I have a comment on this. I think it is sometimes difficult to know if you are really holding a car up especially when in a group of cars. I had a few instances where cars didn't appear to be gaining on me until I got caught in traffic and then we all bunched up and it took a while to get past. Some people appear happy to dive down the inside into bends to get past but personally I try and wait for a straight. I also found a few times when I did let cars past me that I was then stuck behind them especially at the end of the straights. I only found one car that repeatedly baulked me for several laps at a time in two different sessions. I'm relaxed about it though as I had a great time and we are not racing, I hope he enjoyed his day as much as I did. 

Generally I though people were very kind and thoughtful often pulling over and slowing to let cars past.

It was abrilliant day and I would like to thank the organisers.

Jim

I agree with you as, in general, people were very good and, as I say, it was a small gripe. However, there were 2 cars (not CSR's I hasten to add) who were particularly unhelpful (which is probably the best description) pulling over as if to let you pass them and then flooring it thus making it impossible. They certainly didn't spoil my day just made it a bit frustrating at times.

I think that sessioned days do make this more apparent as everyone is bunched up and so maybe I'm being a bit unfair. I know from my first trackday, which was also on the Brands GP circuit, everything was quicker than me and I'm sure I held a few people up - but never for more than 1 corner.

Simon

Does anyone know the contact details for the owner of a red R400 xx ss PUD who was parked around garage #5.

I have some video from following him that he may be interested in (this is not in anyway related to my post above!!)

Can I add thanks to Andy, and indeed to everyone else?  I thought that the standards of driving, courtesy etc were actually much higher than is usual on trackdays.   I certainly had a great time getting to know my new car and I think I may shortly sign up for the Oulton Park day in September.   Is anyone else from this part of the world also planning to brave the trip up to the northern wastelands?

Stephen *byebye*

• Area Representative

Agree it was an excellent day, superb weather and not one person stopped any of our sessions, now that has to be good.  Standards of driver courtesy were on the whole excellent, can't quite understand how a CSR 260 and a couple of R500s were pedalled so slowly round the twisty bits, but as they say each to his own *silly*

Hope Nathan's R400 gets sorted without a big bill.

Nick

I was driving the green R500 with the yellow back panel, and I hold my hands up and apologize for spoiling anyones day.

I had an excellent day and enjoyed the experience the last thing I wanted to do is make it frustrating for anyone on the track.

This was my first track day in the dry, since Cadwell Park, and during the sessions and after excellent guidance from Merrick I moved over whenever I had a car close behind me or had a Blue flag displayed, I backed off only to find 4 or 5 cars would bundle pass me in one go giving me no time or room to position myself for the next corner, which doesn't help with the learning process, if i was shown the same courtesy I would have moved over again after completing the next corner.

Again sorry if I've spoiled your day, lesson learnt!

• Area Representative

Phil

You certainly did not spoil my day and I never had any issues with a green and yellow R500. I would question why you have an R500 when you are a track beginner as they will be a bit of a handful for all but the experienced, but as I said before each to his own and it is your money to do with it as you wish.  Anyway you have done the right thing in getting help from Merrick and hopefully when I meet you on future track days I will be the one pulling to the right to let you pass *thumbup*

Nick

Nick

Thanks for your comments, I know I've taken on a challenge to learn to drive it properly and I was hopefully getting quicker every session, still a lot to learn but enjoying every minute, also I had a great bunch of guys in our garage.

I know I was slow in the corners but under pressure not to spin off and cause delays or damage any other cars, so I was happy I didn't find my limit.

Still a lot to learn before I put the fast guys under pressure and I need to sharpen up on my track etiquette

Phil

Hi it was a great day at brands yesterday. I was held up on the odd occasion but hey ho its s track day and novices are often more worried about learning the lines than using their mirrors. It's a lot to take in, hopefully I was courteous and gave people sufficient room when passing and didn't hustle.

Guys 

Glad to hear generally positive responses for the day, sadly had to leave after lunch as I think people would have got feed up with constantly bump starting my car, apparently I have the curse of the k series 'click'!

I guess always a difficult one with a mixed session but given the price of Brands, we just wouldn't have enough numbers to even get close to taking the complete day for ourselves, which would then allow us to do fast & slow sessions.

Over the next few weeks & possibly in LF I will ask people more about what they want to see the club do with track days, sessions v open pit, etc, etc, however please feel free to email me your thoughts, all comments gratefully received, good or bad!

In the meantime, please feel free to sign up for Oulton, another great track and we really need the support, as bookings are looking more than a little lean at the moment. So if you thinking about it.....don't, Just do it!! 

Finally, big thanks again to Merrick & Phil, I'm sure the folk that benefited from your tuition will be even more confident next time around!

Cheers 

Andy 

Andy, can only add my thanks to those above, was a great day, only problem I find now is that having done the GP circuit last year and this the Indy circuit just doesn't cut it any more. 

On the assumption the club decide to do it again next year, can I suggest we ask MSV to open the noise testing area at 7:30 not 8, there were loads of us there by 7:30 that could have got the noise test done as we arrived but as it was had to join a queue of 40+ cars at 8, that block up the entire pit area and then struggle to get to the 8:30 briefing on time. A small gripe really (I think MSV are the best track day organisers I've been with) but would just make the start of the day so much more relaxed.

thanks again.

Graham

Andy, my thanks to you and all those involved in organising another fantastic and successful track day - you must let me in on how you get the weather just right!!  Hope you get the K click fixed soon - there is guidance on here somewhere on the rewiring needed to fix it.

As always great to meet fellow like minded spirits, particularly all those in garage 12.

Some footage from the last outing 

.  A bit of excellent syncronised 'low flying' at the start but managed to get a couple of quick laps in towards the end.  I am wondering if there is a better sound than a K Series on full song - sure others can enlighten me *biglaugh* . Still missing some apexes by a country mile and I'm sure I can avoid lifting off/braking so early for some of the corners ... I'll have to go back next year and see if I can improve.

Bob

Great day on an epic track - my favourite so far!  Many thanks to Andy for organising and Merrick for the tuition!  I'm already signed up for Oulton :)

Thanks also to my pit buddies who helped me with my silencer re-pack aftar being black flagged for noise.  Anyone else struggled with and sorted a noisy Sigma exhaust?  The re-pack cut my static from 100 to 97 dB but the exhaust boom is still irritating on the road.

Generally I think track manners were excellent but we are all human and bound to get it a bit wrong every now and then.  I only got frustrated a couple of times and during the day but I must have passed or been passed 100+ times without any issues.  There did seem to be more traffic than on other club track days I have done (Oulton and Cadwell).  I suppose this was due to it being sessioned and a sell out.    

Perhaps in future, we could encourage only the quicker/experienced guys to queue up to go out and the novices tag on to the back of the train as it leaves the pits?  Pobably wishfull thinking when everybody is keen to make the most of limited session lengths!

Jim

I can't work out if the start of Madcat's video are sighting laps. I don't think they are and if I'd been trailing round there I would have got pretty annoyed.  Everyone has the right to go at what speed they're comfortable with but to whoever was holding everyone up* a) let others through b) don't take on Brands GP until you're at least competent.

* was it a bloody cyclist?