Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Heater vent

IanW

• Area Representative

As I'm nearing my 4th winter of Caterham ownership, I thought I'd do something about keeping my feet warm during the cold weather blats.

I started at looking for ways to direct the hot air from the heater into the foot-well. To this end, I removed the air vents from inside the car. Now this is where I find that I've been driving the car with it upside down *redface*. This is what the vents look like

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3445687/IMG_0290.JPG

and

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3445687/IMG_0291.JPG.

Notice the two 'ears'. Well they should be pointing down to direct the hot air into the foot well. As shown

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3445687/IMG_0292.JPG.

I've only had a chance to make a stationary test, but the signs are promising as hot air was blown into the foot-well when I turned the heater and fan on *smokin*.

Whilst looking at this problem I also decided to do something about the heater control. Due to my long legs, I have the seat pushed back as far as it will go. This means that when I'm strapped in I can't reach the heater control under the dash. I even tried extending the knob but it was still unsatisfactory.

So,I ordered one of these and mounted it on the dash. Here's what it looks like

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3445687/IMG_0305.JPG.

I'm happy with the result *cool*. Now I can turn the heating on / off without unbuckling my seat belt and I should have warm feet *smokin*.

• Area Representative
As I mentioned, this approach does not work for me - I had already tried it. The spacer would have to be about twice that length. This would mean that it would (almost) protrude from the dash and I'd be afraid of catching it when getting in.

• Area Representative
SBD762 - The swivel vents only direct the heat onto your thighs - at least that's how mine operate. See the bottom right of the third picture to see how the hot air is directed into the foot-well.

Quoting SM25T: 
The cheaper way to be able to reach the heater control knob is to buy a hexagonal spacer pillar 80mm long with M5 male thread one end and M5 female thread the other. Unscrew the knob from the cable and fit the spacer between cable and knob. Simples !

There is an advantage to being tall & owning an S3, every control is to hand. 😬

What doe the CC assembly manual say about the correct way to orient the heater vent panel in the cockpit? (Can't find my manual at the moment).

I've checked my heater vent panel, and it is installed with the "ears" pointing up, and not down at the footwells.

My '07 S3 was assembled in 2007-10 mostly by me, but with the critical engine installation, under-dash work, and fettling by a former CC engineer. Can't believe he would not have caught my upside-down heater panel, if the "ears" were really intended to direct some heat to the footwells.

I know we don't often defend Caterham, but the fact that the space between the footwell vents was the same as the width of the transmission tunnel meant that it naturally seemed to fit the correct way up.

My footwell was certainly very warm this morning, I just need to figure out how to transfer the heat to the back of my seat

Duncan

Edited by - DJ. on 3 Nov 2013 20:06:26

• Area Representative
Another point of reference for correctly aligning the vent panel is the small semi-circular cut-out on the long edge, as seen in the first picture above. If this is at the top, the cut-out cunningly aligns with the cable for the heater motor where it passes through the bulkhead.

• Leadership Team
Im in the same boat as Big Col. Got charged to refit as part of the PBC, I seem to remember it fitted either way up and I chose the wrong way - nothing in the good old build manual 😔

Mine is also ears up.

One thought I have had is that many heater valves are slightly open as standard and only get adjusted to fully closed when the footwell is found to be too hot in the summer. I did think the incorrectly set valve was an oversight but am now wondering if it could be by design. if the valve is set to open for a reason and the ears are down the footwell will get very hot with no way of reducing it.

I too fitted it the wrong way up due to a complete lack of instructions in the manual. 30 mins for Caterham to change it too apparently!

I'll let you draw your own conclusions.

They'll always get you for something....

They charged me to replace all the nylon bolts I had fixed the rear wings with steel ones, because they were "needed for IVA" yet they are allowed to bond the front ones on with glue. Then when I asked for the plastic bolts back when I picked up the car, they had disappeared and I had to ask twice to get more sent through *rolleyes*

Duncan

• 1 month later...
Greg's, it goes with the 2 lugs downwards...if you look at the panel it's rectangular with a couple of lugs at the corners on one edge they go down to blow the air round your feet. If it makes sense? Once you bolt it in the panel should have a slight overlay do wards either side of the tunnel ie there's an open vent on the back maybe inch wide half inch high.