Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Squeaks and clicks from under dash board

GF04RCE

Over the last few years my seven has developed noisy wiring... does anyone else have this?

I remember originally some noise from the screen washer tubes, but what i have now is excessive and distracting. If anyone has experienced this or has a trick for reducing it i am very interested.

The noise is a sharp clicking creaky sound, when going over bumps, headphones seam to be the only cure at the moment.....

Thanks

David M

You will probably get loads of replies relating to who found what on the cars but mine was similar to what you describe. It turned out to be the battery tray. I assume over the years of breaking and accelerating had worked a bit of free play in the rivets holding all that weight in place. Considering the weight of a Banner, these did seem too few and on the small side. Drilled out the existing and replaced with larger ones, then added a few more. This is an area worth checking regardless, if the battery does fall forward on hard breaking the chances are the terminals will short against something *eek*

I get a regular visit from the 'Creaky Speedo' monster. Pain in the 🙆🏻. Sounds like I've got a bloody Geiger Counter under the dash.

Whilst driving, the only remedy is to apply pressure to the face of the speedo. At first I thought it was loose but the clicking just got more pronounced, even after removal and refitting. It's also annoyingly intermittent.

Yet to find a cure. *confused*

Sound familiar?

I've had a very similar problem.

Whilst running (and especially prominent at idle) there seemed to be a rapid clicking from somewhere in the passenger footwell. The Geiger counter seems to be a good analogy.

After many hours with the car running and applying pressure to various points (widscreen wiper motor and arms, passenger knee panel, fuse box and lid) I enventually found that pushing up from the underside of the passenger footwell seemed to isolate the noise.

With the bonnet off, I again started to apply pressure to various points (ECU, heater) and finally isolated the sound when I pushed on the battery. I initially tried by tightening the battery carrier, which did very little, but did quieten the sound, but it came back. I removed the battery carrier and looked at the 'thin' ali plate that it sits on. Not much to go on, so drilled out the cover plate to look at the supporting ali plate, and finally identified that 3 of 5 rivets that hold the supporting plate to the crossmembe r in the passenger footwell had failed, and the clicking (rather than vibrating) noise was as a result of the slight stickiness of the sealant between the supporting plate and the crossmember.

At the moment I have managed to replace 2 of the 3 loose rivets with something more substantial, but cannot drill out the final rivet. I am also planning NOT to place the battery carrier directly onto the ali plate, but rig up some sort of secondary carrier to put the battery carrier onto, to relieve the pressure on the thin ali palte and supporting plate.

Hope this helps in your diagnosis (and makes sense).

Ian

Like Rampmonkey, my Seven has had an intermittent creaking/clicking sound from the dash (driver's side I reckon) for ages (for ages read years) that I've always assumed was speedo related. Never been able to confirm my theory but it seems most plausible and there's no evidence of any other source so I've just learnt to live with it. Thankfully its not that frequent, and doesn't follow any discernible pattern but it's bloody noisy and annoying when it crops up. Anyone else recognize those symptoms?

Edited by - Ezzer Ezzer on 7 Aug 2013 15:21:30

*arrowup* At first I thought it was electrical, until I realised that pushing on the speedo stopped it. I've removed and refit the module (even driven with it fully loosened off in a bid to diagnose) but the damn noise keeps coming back. My next thought was heat expansion causing rubbing somewhere behind the dash, as the noise only cropped up after the car had been running for some time and all but disappeared when stationary. It was then that I realised the 'geiger counter' likeness and decided that a sound THAT consistent across a range of speed and situations COULDN'T be mechanical....

I know I'm not helping! *wavey*

Quoting Ezzer Ezzer: 
Like Rampmonkey, my Seven has had an intermittent creaking/clicking sound from the dash (driver's side I reckon) for ages (for ages read years) that I've always assumed was speedo related. Never been able to confirm my theory but it seems most plausible and there's no evidence of any other source so I've just learnt to live with it. Thankfully its not that frequent, and doesn't follow any discernible pattern but it's bloody noisy and annoying when it crops up. Anyone else recognize those symptoms?

Yet another post about something I've been wondering about on my car. Yes to intermittent creaking on driver's side - I wondered if it was the bonnet moving against the body on the foam strips but it's not that. I'd come to the conclusion that it was inside/under the dash somewhere but didn't know where to start to look as I felt I'd 'pushed' everything that might move. I'll try applying pressure to the speedo next time I hear it.

thanks,

Andy

Ok, I have now been through and checked all the suggestions that came forth but still have no solution to the Geiger Click... My next consideration is the heater unit moving around, but aside from removing it not sure how to test/ fix that one. When you wiggle it, it is making the right kind of sounds (not definitive) but cannot see how it is moving about.....

David M