Click here if you are having website access problems ×

R500 Engine / Transmission Failure

RobinG

Hi All - this is my first post on the forum. Unfortunately I wish it could be under better circumstances. Thought I'd put down in words the experience...

Today whilst driving around the roads of Sussex, just north of Brighton, my engine went bang - literally. I'd accelerated past a car and whilst pulling back in and letting the car slow down by itself (i.e. my foot wasn't on the brake) there was a loud bang just in front of the cockpit. The engine gradually died as I pulled over to the side of the road, when I tried to restart (thought it might be something had hit the bottom of the car) it turned over, seemed to catch and then once again petered out. At this point I noticed a small stream of smoke coming from the engine and got out of the car sharpish. Off came the bonnet and what was in there was not pretty.

The engine had a lot of oil spray everywhere and there was a giant crack going all the way around the bellhousing. On close inspection underneath there was a small crack in the sump as well near the join to the bellhousing. Needless to say at this time there was a lot of oil coming out and onto the road (fortunately into the side of the road). So a phone call to the AA and the police shortly after seeing this and then it was down to waiting for them to arrive.

While waiting another 7 drove past in the opposite direction and then next thing I know the same 7 is pulling in front of the broken down 500 having turned around just to provide assistance. Roy had been to Beaulieu, and hadn't seen another 7 on the way home until he saw us (so quite a drive and instead of carrying on to home he stopped to make sure everything was ok). In any case he mentioned that a small company in Partridge Green may be a good idea to get the car too - he even had their number, having obtained it that very morning.

He called up Andy from Partridge Green Motors who was over in Anglesey and next thing I know Andy's arranging for his Father (who's been down in Beaulieu too) to come to the workshop to take the car in. Time of day (19:00 on Saturday) doesn't matter, being 200 miles away doesn't matter - just "yeah no problem, drop it off and we'll take a look". We get there in the back of the Flatbed truck and the wait around for 20 minutes and then Colin (Andy's father) arrives! He's just come off a long drive, picked up the garage keys and is straight in there helping out, getting the car into the workshop. For info the garage is nicely decked out with several 7s being worked on and a stack of trophies - all this building confidence for a chap who is pretty miserable that his lovely toy has just gone pop! The PGM team certainly have great customer service, pushing the boat out with no reservations at all.

So all I can say is that I wish the first post was in much better circumstances, but the friendliness and helpful nature of one 7 club member and brill customer service from Partridge Green Motors has made a late afternoon a lot easier. Thanks Roy, Andy & Colin (and Andy's Mum).

Now i'll be dreading finding out what has happened and what it's going to cost to fix it....

Echo Stu's comments. What a horrible helpless feeling when something like that happens.

Great actions by Roy *thumbup*......and the lads at the garage also seem to have helped out hugely in what could have been even more of a nightmare, top blokes......better than the AA.

Here's hoping the car is blatting once more in a week or two.

As an aside the only time I've seen similar to what you describe was at a sprint a few years back when a chunk of flywheel decided to break off a fellow competitors car (although that was a VX car)..........again damaged bell housing and lots of oil, but he was told it may have been worse.

With a bit of luck maybe the engine has not been harmed as bad as you may fear.

All the very best with it , I'm sure the lads will sort it.

Cheers.

Thanks both - the car is a 2009 Duratec, just over 5000 miles - I'm hoping worse case is the flywheel... Some images:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/90583153@N00/8920605223/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/90583153@N00/8920605659/

As another Duratec owner that's quite scary, I'm very interested to see what you find out once it comes apart.

To crack the bell housing has got to require a lot of energy, as you say it could be clutch or flywheel.

Fingers crossed that's all it is.

Would be interested to know why this happened as have been told that Duratecs are the way to go and masses of power etc ! ☹️ 5k miles is begger all compared to my HPC having done 26k now !

Edited by - combine on 2 Jun 2013 13:52:05

Sorry to hear of your woes Robin. I would guess that the sump has cracked after the bell housing as a result of the load of trying to keep the engine/gearbox aligned by itself. Hopefully, the misalignment of the engine/'box hasn't caused any damage to the crank/main bearings.

I would be very interested to see the cause too. If the flywheel had let go I would have thought that there would be more carnage around the bell housing. I wonder if the bell housing could be the cause, possibly a casting flaw and fatigue could cause the crack and everything else is the result.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Area Representative

Heavy landings or kerbs are the culprit

I'd second James' theory - you were coming off the gas with the front of the car settling back down just as you were pulling back in and traversing the crown of the road.

I experienced this as a passenger in the infamous K2 RUM a few years ago, but on that occasion Arnie's luck was in and it was a case of car 1, cat's eye 0. It was a mighty bang though!

Best of luck getting it sorted Robin.

Cruds

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all - sorry for not replying earlier. The car is now back on the road, I got it back about 3 weeks ago after some great service from Andy at PGM Motorsport who's looked after the car brilliantly.

So damage caused:

Bell housing

Sump

Clutch friction plate

Crankshaft oil seal

Some small body work damage around the exhaust exit

Engine all ok, gearbox all ok

All in all better than I dreaded and as for cause....

The road where it happened has a marked camber on either side of the crown, there are two people in the car AND most importantly the cat's eye I struck is sitting very high off the road (must be best part of 50-60mm off the road).Some heavy, deep scratching on the nylon wedge backs up this theory. It would probably be difficult to do it again when trying, but not impossible with a low car. So a letter to county council will be coming up.

Both Andy and I reckon the engine was pushed up violently when the cat's eye struck the nylon wedge. It pushed up at the weakest point between crank case & Bell housing. With the rest of the engine mounts holding tight, the bell housing cracked on the top (as per pictures) and the sump was cracked and twisted.

So with whatever little time I get at the moment I'm trying to get out and get used to the car again. With a new clutch plate it seems to engage in lower gears a little sharper (I'm presuming) and is running much hotter than before (not sure on this, seems to be more than just hotter weather). The car is going back to PGM for a check up shortly and I can't say enough about the excellent service for Andy. He is definitely much in demand.

I'll try and post some pictures later on and then might take you up on the offer sometime Steve.

Edited by - RobinG on 28 Jul 2013 08:41:03

Edited by - RobinG on 28 Jul 2013 08:41:51