Click here if you are having website access problems ×

The BiB, LED lights and advice to POBC

Andy Lef

*mad*

Pulled over by a very polite uniformed gentleman in an unmarked BMW estate (A3 after the M25 Junction on the way into London) to discuss the brightness or lack of, eminating from my rear LEDs. Clear cluster + 360 LED lights (brought from a reputable 7 parts supplier we all know of) brakes and indicators.

He felt that despite being e-marked (we had to have a look for his benefit) they were verging on being inadequate for the job. (Bright sunny late afternoon on Monday following a great blat through Wiltshire). *eek*

His advice was that I should consider changing back to the old coloured cluster and put filament bulbs back in, as they are believed to be brighter and it would be safer for me. His advice and experience (as a biker) is whilst these after market LEDs are very good at night they are actually pretty hopeless in the daylight (even with the shiney new reflectors that I fitted). *confused*

Anyway to keep him happy I refitted the old set (not that he was asking me to and they were in the boot anyway) back to the car. He was happy - 😬

He then went to great lengths to explain that whilst LEDs worked well on modern cars, it is because they were designed to have the LED directly facing the rear (in this case). The ones that some of us are using are 360 in style and are not really that effective, even though legal.

Nice guy.

Anyway FWIW digest, discard or action.

• Area Representative

I wouldn't neccesarily argue aginst him directly but I hope it is not the case, as I have just (at Stoneleigh) bought a full set of replacement rear lights (LED type) for the Seven.

The only direct counter-arguement I could suggest is that high-level brake lights all appear to be LED based and can be seen to work well in daylight.

Yes, but high-level brakelights have the LEDs facing directly rearwards. LEDs are very directional, and when you've got a "360" style bulb, only a few of them are facing straight backwards.

There was a bulk-buy on some circular reflectors a while back, which should help.

Edit: If your LED rear lights are specifically designed, rather than retro-fit bulbs in the standard units, they should be OK.

Edited by - Roger Ford on 9 May 2013 11:52:42

Roger

Agree ref the high level light - it is directional hence it works well

There was a bulk-buy on some circular reflectors a while back, which should help.

Got these and they do help but obviously not enough

If you look @ the 2nd post here I posted up a PIC taken in bright day light once I'd fitted some mirrors into the rear clusters. (The image in my post will take a while to appear as it's hosted on some kit @ home)

I've since upgraded to some LED's (these) and there is an improvement over std bulbs+mirrors

Mike

Edited for clarity!

Edited by - michaeljclark on 9 May 2013 12:25:11

Jonathan

yes of course - I am away for a week so when I get back.

Aves -

Why would you want to fit these anyway - It's just bling isn't it ? To go with the daytime running lights sikaflexed to the leading edge of the front wings?

That is one school of thought, however, if it results in better visibility of the car indicating and braking (3rd brake light notwithstanding) then you've won on two counts safety and bling (if that's your thing). Front wings LED might be a step to far but 🙆🏻end safety is good for all. 😬

Well...I'm not in the least surprised! I've followed countless sevens with these type of lights fitted, and on a bright sunny day, the Coppers absolutely right, as they are worse than useless!

There is some saving grace, if you have a high level brake light. However, as I've said before, the long strip LED type suffer in the same way on a sunny day. Even though the LED's are pointing in the right direction, in bright sunlight they are not that visible. The best, and most visible type of high level brake light, is the circular shrouded type, as the LED array is sunk into it, so it remains highly visible, even in bright sunlight.

If you want to keep your 🙆🏻 intact, I'd leave the old ones on, or change them for a completely different design like Eugenes, and get a decent hi level brake light.

Oz

Quoting Andy Lef: 
Jonathan

yes of course - I am away for a week so when I get back.

Aves -

Why would you want to fit these anyway - It's just bling isn't it ? To go with the daytime running lights sikaflexed to the leading edge of the front wings?

That is one school of thought, however, if it results in better visibility of the car indicating and braking (3rd brake light notwithstanding) then you've won on two counts safety and bling (if that's your thing). Front wings LED might be a step to far but 🙆🏻end safety is good for all. 😬

Errr doesn't your orginal post suggest that you've lost on the issue of safety - because Dibble stopped you for that very reason. *confused* Hence you are left with the doubtfull quality of bling

*arrowup*

Your absolutely correct... and it's helped me understand that if I'm to remain with the LED option, I need to get better LED bulbs than the one I was using.

However, the original thrust of the post was to alert others, who have gone the same way (same bulbs / cluster combo), that maybe a review of the sourced LED bulb if similar to mine is necessary. So Ihope it's been of some help.

Happy motoring

Daytime running lights sikaflexed to my front wings seemed like a sensible modification to me, never thought of them as bling, each to their own I guess.

Maybe we should have a survey *smile*

Tony

Try these Ultra LEDs They were sourced by someone else on BC and are really bright - brighter than std. Don't know if they're 'E' rated.

I use the red ones.

My rear lamps are Land Rover and the LED's are positioned for rearward viewing but other 7 owners locally have them fitted to the standard Caterham cluster and they are still brighter than normal.

Specifically designed LED brake lights are much brighter than the current caravan filament solution. As evidenced when following a car at Silverstone that had the new brake light solution from Caterham for race cars. I think they look dreadful, btw - even worse than the caravan lights - but that's a different point.

Jez

Quoting Z3MCJez: 
Specifically designed LED brake lights are much brighter than the current caravan filament solution. As evidenced when following a car at Silverstone that had the new brake light solution from Caterham for race cars. I think they look dreadful, btw - even worse than the caravan lights - but that's a different point.

In case anyone's interested, the new Caterham "race" brake lights appear to consist of these LED clusters inside these Drift instrument pods. I'm considering making a pair, but only really because I think I can do it for about half what Caterham charge.