Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Daft injury/upgraditis

Fishy Dave

Last Sunday was a day I'd been looking forward to for some time. It was the day the engine was coming out to be delivered to Oily for him to do his magic. Budget and race class is restricting what I'd like to have done to putting my old Supersport cams, solid lifters and some used Trophy pistons in.

Elizabeth, myself and Paul Manning set to work on undoing everything, a nice easy job usually except some numpty had over tightened the dry sump coupling (er, that would be me a couple of years ago). So, crawled underneath the car, on my back, two hands on the spanner, HEAVE!!! OUCH! The nut undid very suddenly and I punched myself in the eye and sliced my nose with the end of the spanner!

After the shock of the pain and blood I had to have a little lay down (bit of a girl with blood), but ignored Beths request to get the doctors - I had a tight schedule to get the engine out and to DVA 😬. I was 15 minutes late to Daves door, with most of the ancillaries still attached (mine and the engines) which was good going. I'm sure Dave must have wondered who the thug was on his doorstep with a bruised eye and bloodied nose.

Worse was to come the next day when I went to the NHS walk in centre (excellent places though) and was mildly told off for not having visited sooner. By then the skin had receded, leaving an open cut and left a big bump on my nose, so the nurse got tweezers, open up the cut again, cleaned it and stretched the skin back across the cut and taped it down with paper stitches. After another lay down, the feeling of nausea passed *redface* and I got back to work to have to repeat the same story and reassure customers I hadn't been fighting, it was self inflicted, and yes it was pretty stupid.

http://www.racelife.co.uk/DSC_0007.jpg

So, when undoing something tight on the car please look after your knuckles, noses, eyes or any other part of your anatomy. It is also proof that upgraditis is not only painful on your wallet.

Hoping the engine will bring my smile back next month. *cool*

Ouch! ☹️

No photo to share but 20 plus years ago I was heaving on a tight joint with a pair of pump pliers in a customers airing cupboard when they slipped off & slammed into my chin bursting it open *cry* I had a pale blue shirt on which instantly became red.

I gathered up a load of loo roll to save pouring blood on her carpet & dashed downstairs. She thought I had slit my throat. *eek*

Drove to A & E in the van & got stiched up. Still have the scar along with a bigger one on my chin from a cycling injury 10yrs ago. *rolleyes*

Finishing off my build, I was working on securing the cabling for the Lambda sensor when, for some reason, I suddenly I leant backwards, the back of my head hit the front tyre, and my face rebounded into the exhaust pipe. Full-on eye contact.

Unfortunately a week later I had to attend my sister-in-law's wedding!! The (very dark) bruising around my eye lasted well over a month.

Guess who tried to hide at the back for the photos 😬

Richy

• Leadership Team

Be careful when fitting the rear shocks/spring units, if you get the bottom of the spring to compress a bit by pushing too hard fingers can get caught underneath the base plate - trapping a flap of skin that can only be extricated by removing the shock (one handed by now!!) placing it inverted in a vice (twisting the trapped hand!!) and body weight eventually used to compress the spring a bit and recover offending finger. Bloody hurt!! Long sit down and stiff drink to follow - thick gloves on for attempt number 2.

Why do these things only happen when you are all alone in the garage with no one in the house to help rescue you?

The joys of building a 7 😬 😬 😬

Ah injuries... Had a few of those. Funniest (for everyone else) was probably when we had a fire out the back, and I was breaking up wood to chuck on it. Leant a sizeable branch on a log, stamped on it, and woke up 10 minutes later. On stamping, half of the branch flew up and caught the top of my eye socket, knocking me out instantly. When I came to, I thought I was blind as my eye was shut so tight I couldn't open it!

I'm also no stranger to the paper stitches, and had to use them on my man bag after not quite making it over the handlebars in a mountain bike stack.

Glad you're ok, Dave, and I'm sure it will only add to your rugged good looks! *cool*

I can remember nearly knocking myself out removing a steering wheel from a Mini when I was 16, I think you can all guess how that happened..., numerous other mishaps have occurred over the years, the most memorable was mashing my thumb with a 6lb hammer when trying to remove a Mini flywheel.

Oily

So whilst we are sharing...

A few years ago, SWMBO managed to reverse her car into the garage using just the starter motor - and at the time the garage door was closed. After getting her car out of the garage door, I went to inspect the damage to the door. The door was an up-and-over door, and one of the spring loaded lifting arms had come loose and was waiting on a hair trigger. The arm came up with remarkable speed and force and hit the side of my head:

the damage

(and no I'm not normally that lopped sided *smile*)

One broken cheek bone and seven hours in casualty. They wouldn't let me home until the nose bleed had stopped and it just wouldn't. The worst bit was a nurse coming every 15 mins or so to insect the blue paper towel I was bleeding into to check the only thing leaking out my head was blood and nothing more sinister.

N.

Back in the 70s I picked up an old Imp for a friend which he had bought 17th hand or so. I finally got it back to his place after it kept cuting out on the journey (through rush hour traffic *redface*).

A group of us were trying to work out what the problem might be- some kicked tyres, others opened the chocolate Hobnobs, and the rest of us stared into the engine bay not quite sure what we were looking for or what to do if we found it.

I had a bright idea that it would be worth checking the tension on the belt in case the problem was alternator/battery related and put my thumb on the belt to press it.

With the bonnet up at the rear, none of us saw one of the other "helpers" who had decided to test his own problem solving theory as he leant across the driver's side and turned the key. *rolleyes* Result - one thumb disappeared against my will at some speed and part way round the pulley.

"Oh dear. That is causing me more than mild discomfort, some bleeding it appears, and a desire to shout out loudly/", I said sotto voce. At least that is my recollection of the aftermath, although I was in shock. *wink*

Peter

Not had too many injuries, thankfully, but I have welded more than my fair share of spanners to the car (first one I remember was at Powder Puff's place when we had just installed the Project Scope Creep engine for the first time - engine was running up to temp when someone noticed that the nut on the starter holding the cable from the alternator and to the battery was loose. That one melted a rivet where the spanner touched it, if I recall!

And despite being warned (by Haynes) that the magnets in the Honda Blackbird engine generator cover (effectively a cover for the alternator) were really, really strong - I still managed to chop a bit out of my finger when the two halves came together with surprising force!

I had a slight issue with a fellow BC'ers engine crane when I went to pack it away. It's fairly old and meaty with a screwthread for raising and lowering the jib. There's a long bolt which had to be taken out to dismantle the crane. As I tapped the bolt out with my left hand the jib (hinged at the top) swung down from its horizontal working position to hang vertically. Unfortunately my right thumb was holding the vertical part which the jib was swinging towards.

I remember taking off my work glove and being quite surprised that the thumb was still attached as it really felt like it had been removed. It wasn't until I got to A&E to be checked out that I noticed the rip in my jeans up the inside of one of my thighs... A closer and slightly panicky inspection revealed just a minor laceration where the metal strips which were attached to the screwthread had whizzed upwards as the jib had headed downwards. A little bit to one side and I would have been a whole lot less happy about things... *eek*

On a serious note if we do hurt ourselves we really should go to A&E. Some years ago my 13yr old son came home from school complaining of a sore neck after he had fallen badly whilst larking about. It got easier by night time so we sent him to bed with no second thoughts. Roll on five years, I arrrive at A&E to see him strapped to a BackBoard after coming off his bike. An X-ray had revealed a suspected fracture to No.4 Vertibrae. The next morning he was given the all clear....... the shadow on the X-ray was of an unknown healed fracture!!

On an even more serious note - check if your local hospital has a 'minor injuries clinic' before rushing off to A&E.

I sliced the top off my finger with a mandoline one Saturday night (this year, I think!) whilst cooking. We'd both had a large glass of wine and the dinner was half done - so I just taped it up and carried on rather than risk 4 hours in A&E sobering up on an empty stomach.

Checked the details next morning and found they have a minor-injuries clinic - turned up and sat in a waiting room for a few minutes. Apparently slicing your finger is higher up the priority list than nobbling your ankle after falling off your high-heels whilst drunk - and I was seen, dealt-with and out again within a further 10 minutes or so. Well impressed compared to my childhood visits to another hospital down south...