Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Jacking points - for the regular engine removers

CharlesElliott

I normally jack my car at the front by the cruicifix and then use axle stands on the wishbones close to the body of the car. However, when it comes to yearly engine out time I always struggle because axle stands there obstruct the engine crane legs. If I try and put the axle stands closer together (inboard of the wishbones) they foul on the jack.

So....if you are removing the engine, where do you jack your car and where do you put the axle stand(s) whilst you are doing it?

I've only removed and refitted my engine once, but I did all the legwork with the car on axle stands in the usual places and then put it back on the deck but with the wheels on some concrete slabs I had kicking around to give enough clearance for the engine crane legs. I found a load leveller to be extremely useful, especially if going solo and pulling the box out at the same time.

• Leadership Team

If the legs of the engine crane will fit under the lower wishbones don't use axle stands or anything else - there's an advantage in being able to move the car forwards or backwards a little if needed during engine installation/removal.

Stu.

Crucifix: I've always jacked there, as do 90% of the 100 racers I race with. I understand the reasons why it might not be a good idea, but I'm going to keep doing it.

Jack on towing eye: Yes, will definitely work, I've always thought that worse than jacking on the crucifix due to twisting, but it is probably fine.

Put it on the ground: Definitely an option too, I'm pretty sure my crane legs will go under the front wishbones.

Anyway, at least two options there, thanks.

Surprised by how quickly I was ready to pull it out. Coolant out, both fuel pipes undone, manifold unbolted, gear lever our, gear mount undone, release Apollo tank and lift up, undo electrical cables, undo engine mounts and ready to go...

The tubes running across the front of the car are all fitted in compression to hold the two sides of the chassis apart in exactly the correct position. There are a mumber of diaganol braces between the top and bottom chassis rails to give them rigidity it is to the lower offside rail that the towing eye is fitted. Jacking under the cruciform has a tendancy to try and flex those thin tubes and will eventually cause cracking where they are welded/brazed ( depends on age of car) as they are NOT strong enough to carry the full weight of car and engine. Probably not easy to follow but look at a chassis diagram on Caterhams web sit and it should be clear.

WTF the club has them listed on ite FAQ page for I have no idea BUT they are Wrong.

:I jack up the front and slide ramps under each of the front wheels (one pointing forwards, one pointing backwards - so it can't roll off), then lower the car down onto the ramps. Gives ample room for the crane. I can actually just get the crane legs under the body with the car at normal height, so I use the crane and a couple of bits of climbing rope to do the 'jacking' too.