Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Engine bay layout

Tyrone

I've searched Google images and lots of the cars on there are either racers or LHD's. Has anyone got some photos to illustrate a well organised engine bay. I'm particularly interested in Zetec or Crossflow installs with closed header tank, battery, Edis (or ECU's), washer bottle and horns mounted on the bulkhead, shelf in front and passenger footwell. I also have to make room for an aux power supply and connections to a battery cut off switch.

After 25 years of adaptation and bodge mine were all over the place and fixed where they fitted. The electrical fire gives me the chance to re-evaluate and hopefully put things in the best place.

I took some time to organize the scuttle/bay on my lhd S3 with 260 2.3 Duratec and dry sump. I have a heater, windscreen washer tank, d/s tank heater, rad surge tank, catch tank, battery tender hookup, under-bonnet 12v power source, battery cutoff switch, and some tool storage (more planned).

I have had no success in posting photos on BC, but if you can send me your e-mail i will send existing photo directly. i can also take more, if you need them My e-mail is tmeacham@gci.net

Tim Bird has kindly offered to post the photos of my lhd Cosworth 2.3 Duratec S3's engine bay. I spent quite bit of time thinking about how I could maximize the limited use of space under-bonnet.

An explanation of what the photos show:

Scuttle (please ignore the dent -- scuttle will be replaced this winter!) locating the following: interior heater, radiator overflow tank, radiator catch tank, windscreen washer/bottle, battery cutoff switch, battery conditioner (hooked to mains by covered plug receptacle under front-end of car), remote 12-v power outlet, and two aluminium cans to hold spares, rags, etc. (one positioned on top of Odyssey battery). These cans are made from Coleman camp-stove containers, and are not yet fixed in place, awaiting scuttle replacement.

Front end: Brise d/s tank with Petersen cap and in-tank pre-heater element (hooked to mains by covered plug receptacle under front-end of car), breather tank for d/s tank, and modified round Coleman stove can (to hold trans. filler neck, trans. dip-stick, and other misc. rags and tools), nosecone shaping hoop a la CSR, full-time running lights replacing turn signals, and separate turn-signal stalks on nosecone (thanks, Nathan Down for these and other nifty mods to my car!).

All of the Coleman cans are lined with thin rubber sheet-roofing material to stop dents and rattles.

My S3 is for touring, not racing. While the under-bonnet area is quite filled, I found a convenient place for everything I wanted.