Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Bespoke cage

Drumster

Who are the best people to speak to about designing a bespoke cage for my 7?

Just thinking about exploring the idea of having a structure that can be bolted onto the car using the existing roll bar (albeit amended) i.e a cage that is removable for road use.

I guess it could simply be too expensive an option.....

I'm pretty sure Caged did a version of this for the Westfield but i can't find any pictures to verify this.

There is no reason you can't do this other than the racing regs - most rally cages have an element of bolts except at the highest level (FIA). Your petty strut is a bolt on and, at the end of the day, a standard cage is bolted to the chassis! *smile*

Regards,

Giles

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately not. The best people to do this would be Caged and they are only interested in selling me a new cage. Safety Device were interested but were quoting £1200-£1500!

In short if you 'amend' the existing FIA bar then it loses its homologation. However, the MSA confirmed that for Road-Going classes at Sprints as a rollbar/cage is not mandatory they would quite happily accept a modifed FIA bar.

I've just accepted that there's probably a good reason that what I'm thinking of hasn't been done before..... I guess if I had the time and money I could get a prototype made and go from there but I think it really only has a limited appeal.

I have today bought an older style single-diagonal cage for a reasonable price and will go down the route that I tried to avoid....

Quoting Aeroscreens: 
Unfortunately not. The best people to do this would be Caged and they are only interested in selling me a new cage. Safety Device were interested but were quoting £1200-£1500!

In short if you 'amend' the existing FIA bar then it loses its homologation. However, the MSA confirmed that for Road-Going classes at Sprints as a rollbar/cage is not mandatory they would quite happily accept a modifed FIA bar.

I've just accepted that there's probably a good reason that what I'm thinking of hasn't been done before..... I guess if I had the time and money I could get a prototype made and go from there but I think it really only has a limited appeal.

I have today bought an older style single-diagonal cage for a reasonable price and will go down the route that I tried to avoid....

Get it painted - Tony loves painting cages

I got my SD cage modified by a local fabricator to look like the Caged one and am pleased with it although the curved bars were expensive but would be much cheaper if bought in bulk. Its obviously lost its homoligation but I only drive it on the road and at trackdays. He also made up a side impact bar for the passenger side as Caterham didnkt do one at the time (not sure whether they do now) and looks like the drivers one so he's done a good job.

Michael.