Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Spring Compressors that will *fit*

Steve-B

I have a set of Draper spring compressors and try as I may, you just can't get them onto the Bilstein adjustable dampers properly to remove from my SV.

Curious as to what others are using, and where sourced from. DT, Halfrauds, etc don't seem to have anything better, but there has to be a place to get them from and I've just not found them.

Anyone tried these from ScrewFix 🤔

Would love to find some -- soon as car has been off road too long now ☹️

Edited by - Steve-B on 11 Jun 2012 10:39:45

I used a set of Sealey ‘Motorcycle coil spring compressors’ (model VS1824) when doing this recently, link here

You can get them off EBay for under £35.

They have small hooks with plastic spring protectors and fit well with out scratching the damper body. Although I had to make a wooden frame to stop them from slipping around the spring under tension when removing the rears.

Ian

Edited by - Ian Hayward on 11 Jun 2012 11:11:41

Of you try to remove a rear shock and haven't compressed the shock that's OK, but when you try to put it back on and the spring isn't compressed there's merry h3ll to the attempt.

I was trying to compress before removal, so it will make the replacements more simple.

Am I going about this in the completely wrong way? This is how I've done cars back to my 1966 Spitfire years ago; compress, remove, place shock, install.

Steve, not sure if I'm misunderstanding, but I've currently got the DD tube out of the car and the shocks + springs are just hanging there. When I've finished all the other messing about, I'll slide the DD tube back in, bolt the shocks to it, attach the radius arms and A-frame and put the wheels back on. Is there something I'm missing about having to compress the springs?

Quoting charlie_pank: 
Steve, not sure if I'm misunderstanding, but I've currently got the DD tube out of the car and the shocks + springs are just hanging there. When I've finished all the other messing about, I'll slide the DD tube back in, bolt the shocks to it, attach the radius arms and A-frame and put the wheels back on. Is there something I'm missing about having to compress the springs?

That's what I did a few years ago - maybe physically changing the shocks makes it different, or some of them have longer springs, or something...

• Area Representative

Quoting myothercarsa2cv: 
When SM25T helped me fit the spring platforms, we used a combination of body weight, ratchet straps and hose reel bits. It was a bit Heath Robinson, but it worked 😬

you think that's Heath Robinson!!!

I use 2 house bricks, 2 tyre levers, a porta power and 2 walls, but it works 😬

• 7 months later...

I have just finally (don't ask -- we "got" a new Granddaughter that got in the way!) have finished the shock in question.

The Ratchet Straps recommendation is absolutely a WINNER for spring compression!!! Once I figured out which coil circle level of the spring to get the straps onto, and got the two ratchets to stay put, this worked a treat!

I owe you a pint (at least) *thumbup*

Quoting myothercarsa2cv: 
When SM25T helped me fit the spring platforms, we used a combination of body weight, ratchet straps and hose reel bits. It was a bit Heath Robinson, but it worked 😬

• 3 weeks later...

Quoting Ian Hayward: 
I used a set of Sealey ‘Motorcycle coil spring compressors’ (model VS1824) when doing this recently, link here

You can get them off EBay for under £35.

They have small hooks with plastic spring protectors and fit well with out scratching the damper body. Although I had to make a wooden frame to stop them from slipping around the spring under tension when removing the rears.

Ian

Edited by - Ian Hayward on 11 Jun 2012 11:11:41

I use these as well.

Quoting Steve-B: 
I have just finally (don't ask -- we "got" a new Granddaughter that got in the way!) have finished the shock in question.

The Ratchet Straps recommendation is absolutely a WINNER for spring compression!!! Once I figured out which coil circle level of the spring to get the straps onto, and got the two ratchets to stay put, this worked a treat!

I owe you a pint (at least) *thumbup*

Quoting myothercarsa2cv: 

Ah well done! You may owe Ian a pint, it was his idea 😶‍🌫️ I used big zipties recently too... Worked alright as well, but a bit of a pricey option as I used about 30 in total.