Click here if you are having website access problems ×

roadsport 140bhp up grade to 180 bhp 0-60 time

Boris

I have a Roadsport 1.8 k series 140 bhp and i'm looking at a 180 bhp up grade

with a standard 5 speed box and stock diff what ca i expect the the 0-60 time to be?

K7 PKT

Objects in the rear view mirror...... should just drive faster

As a guide;

2003 roadsport 1.6 k-series, DVA modified to give 182bhp and 130ft/lb torque

5 speed box, 3.92 LSD (titan) on 13" wheels and Khumo soft compound 215 tyres all round.

Dry road, albiet cold

0-60mph = 4.4 secs

measured with a race Technology data logger using 10hz GPS as reference.

What exhaust system you use will have a significant effect. I use a powerspeed 4-2-1.

if you are looking for such an engine upgrade, I would highly recommend a DVA05 upgrade for both power and driveability (throttle response etc).

HTH

edited to add - that was with a windscreen!

1.6 K Series EU3, 2003, with DVA K05 and a few other goodies...

website here

Edited by - skydragon on 6 Jan 2011 09:50:05

Since changing to the 6 speed and aero, have you had a chance to do another timed run?
Do you think I'd subject my mistress to the salt laden roads we currently enjoy...? 😔 😬 😬

On a serious note, I only managed to drive it once before putting it away for the winter, after changing from 5 to 6 speed gearbox and it felt significantly quicker in terms of acceleration...although I'm not sure how much of that was the placebo effect combined with having to change gear at a more frantic rate.

Edited by - skydragon on 6 Jan 2011 15:13:33

I agree that something around 4 and half is possible but it is really hard to get a time this quick in any Caterham - all about controlling wheelspin, not getting bogged down, very quick gearshift - all a lot more brutal than most people would expect.

A bit of a straw poll at the Dunsfold handling day 2010 didn't find many people who got below 5 seconds, regardless of power. It is also hard to match the manufacturers times.

From memory, at the 3 Dunsfold days I did I made 5.3 with 140 bhp K, then 5.1 with 165 bhp K and last time a 4.18 with 230 bhp K - so a steady improvement but I was very disappointed to not make it below 4! All these were on dry days, road tyres and 5 speed box.

Solent Se7ens Web!

I read the thread with interest because when I discussed a posible power increases for my 1600 K series s/sport with Caterham Midlands, I was told that there was nothing much that could be done with the existing engine and I was very much discouraged from pursuing this.

I have checked out the DVA web site having read your comments and it seems to offer a signficiant power increase (to 175 bhp) for a 1600 for around £3k (I was told it would cost £100 per bhp). As I have verniers already, I should be able to shave something off this total. Are the cams listed hotterthan the s/sport Piper cams I already have or are they the same?

Cat Mids will disuade anyone from modifying more or less anything with their car that Caterham themselves do not do and are not really interested in buying any modified Caterham second hand on a trade in for example. Particularly mods with engine.

Cheers Neil

Agree with comments above - 0-60 fascinates us all but you have to be seriously brutal to get best time.My R400 should do 60 in about 4.4 according to Autocar but because I am a fat git and rubbish at getting off the line quickly my best is 5.2 - on the few occasions when I have been timed at a drag strip. And whilst somebody will now come along to tell me their Crossflow , two up does 4.8 I won't lose any sleep. The killer time is 30-70 through gears - some interesting stats here- you think a CSR 260 is quick- it is- 3.1 secs. But a 458 Italia will do it in 2.4 and cripes- a DIESEL Audi A8 only takes 5.4. A Prius takes ..ermm 12 secs and a Defender 2.4D a snappy 17.

Autocar tested a 1.6 k series (138 bhp) in 1995. They achieved 0-60 in 6 seconds, 0-100 in 18.3 secs and 30-70 in 5.7 secs. Stg qtr 14.7/94 mph.

I would like to read performance figures for the current R400 but whilst various magazines have driven it, no one seems to have test figures. Anyone know different?

Mark

I had my 1800vvc modified by DVA which now gives me somewhere between 185-190 bhp

All I can say, as do many other posts on here,is that OIly is hugely proffesional and thorough and it has been 100% reliable

It has also transformed the car - much quicker but also very drivable

Don't worry about trade in as selling privately won't cause issues

C

caterham mids did the supersport upgrade (cams and a ecu change) then i thought i had HGF so the car was taken to oilyhands who took the head off and sorted the liner height out ported the head and explained that the caterham supersoprt came are quite mild so he swappedthe cams for better ones. The car already has a 52mm throttle body.

oily recomended changing the exhaust as the standard system was restricting it, so it now runs a powerspeed 4-2-1.

the cars so much better in the midrange drinks a little more but its transformed the car.

Tweeky

to infirmity.................... and beyond

Edited by - tweeky on 10 Jan 2011 07:32:07

Dave Andrews, AKA DVA Power, AKA Oilyhands.

Based in Milton Keynes, not much he doesn't know about the K series, and how to extract more horses from it!

C7 FST....Powered by DVA

A Wolf in Clams Clothing!

For timed comparisons try "torquestats" website.

You can compare up to 3 different types of car, 0-60, 0-100, 1/4 mile, 60-100 times etc.

They have the R400/500D, and R300/500K and plenty of others to have some fun with *wavey*

Re: acceleration times, I found a marked improvement changing from 15inch wheels with Cr500s to 13inch wheels (8 inch rears) with A048s

t2 Slo- am not aware of any proper road test by mags of R400- but Autocar did a 0-100-0 when if memory serves 60 was 4.4 and 100 in just over 10.Steve Sutcliffe is obviously lighter than me.And a better driver, yes

I've seen that thanks John (on you tube) conditions were wet at the time so not the best the car might achieve.

For timed comparisons try "torquestats" website.

Didn't know about that site, thanks Paul. Doesn't quote any test date or anything other than raw stats but interesting reading.

Mark.

Edited by - 2slo on 9 Jan 2011 21:20:08

Interesting! Mine is a 1600K, 13" wheels, R888, Nitrons. Helps get some of the power down. Small wheels make quite a difference on the acceleration, the old 15 " were terrible. DVA modified head plus cold feed to manifold, light flywheel, forged pistons etc. Power somewhere around 175+ and torque bit over 130. (exact figures a waste of time as depends on the actual rolloing road, air tempature, etc, etc).

Agree that 0-60 (100kph) is pretty much a waste of time to asses the power output on a Caterham, however my original as a 1600 supersport was about 5,6 seconds and now is approx 4,6. Always use same stretch of road and calibrated SPA unit plus conventional stopwatch.

To me much more significant and much more useful is the 0-100mph (160kph).

Original was approx 18 seconds and now is approx 12,5 seconds. However I can also see the difference if I have the 4 into 1 with cat exhaust or the 4-2-1 no cat. The latter is repeatedly a good 1/2 to 1 second faster as the torque spread is so much better and take off is much cleaner. Have seen as low as 11.5 on a good cold winters morning!

Hope this helps

Peter

PJ