Click here if you are having website access problems ×

QR Caterham or Rapfix ???

Supersprint1988

Actually just looking for a second hand CC QR boss and column, but these are of course hard to find.

So should I just call CC and order their QR, or should I go for the RapfixRapfix Link. *rolleyes*

A lot on BC about wear and jamming of the CC QR, and until now only positive words about the Rapfix.

The problem is that the Rapfix hasn’t been on the marked very long, so we don’t know about the durability. Neither negative or positive.

So has anyone managed to put some miles and some angry driving into to the Rapfix yet, and has there been any problems with them.

Cheers

Carsten *wavey*

I have used the Rapfix all season long and its just a great bit of kit.

Some say I may have actually used it to drive quite hard during the seasons competition.

Myself I think I was just pootling along *wink*

I know of one other sprint competitor who also used it all season and he was definitely not trying very hard 😔

The benefit of the design and workings are that the ball bearings sit in an egg shaped "race" I believe is the term and if you can imagine this the ball bearing is currently (when new) at the top or narrow end under a spring load. So if or as the mechanism does wear the ball will simply continue to tighten under load from the spring down into the wider part of the egg shape.

In other words its constantly tightening itself.

Hope that helps.

www.7tips.co.uk - for all 7 related parts and upgrades.

Yes, if you set both the Lifeline and the Rapfix up so that the wheel is as close as possible to the dash, the Rapfix puts the wheel slightly further from the dash. IIRC its about 10mm, but I found I wanted the wheel about where the Rapfix ends up anyway, if not closer. YMMV

• 11 months later...

Any thoughts on the Rapfix 2? I was going to buy a Rapfix from Plays-kool (Simon at 7tips - now Meteor Motorsport having apparently priced himself out of the market for this item), when I saw the Rapfix 2, complete with a horrendous Japlish description. It's a bit cheaper, but not sure I like the look of it, especially as they want another £65 to "eliminate the need to press the small button on the Rapfix II".

Also does anyone have a photo of the rapfix fitted, from the side? I'm a little concerned because my Race Technology dash needs the steering wheel back an inch or so - the QR can't but right up against the dash. If the Rapfix needs more space than the standard QR that might be a problem.

Quoting Roger Ford: 
Any thoughts on the Rapfix 2? I was going to buy a Rapfix from Plays-kool (Simon at 7tips - now Meteor Motorsport having apparently priced himself out of the market for this item), when I saw the Rapfix 2, complete with a horrendous Japlish description. It's a bit cheaper, but not sure I like the look of it, especially as they want another £65 to "eliminate the need to press the small button on the Rapfix II".

Also does anyone have a photo of the rapfix fitted, from the side? I'm a little concerned because my Race Technology dash needs the steering wheel back an inch or so - the QR can't but right up against the dash. If the Rapfix needs more space than the standard QR that might be a problem.

I will try and get a photo over the weekend.

Lee

Here's what worries me:

I have a Race Technology Dash2, which is a tight fit under the top of the scuttle, so has to sit down on top of the bare steering shaft:

http://rogerford.smugmug.com/Other/2011-11-12-by-Eye-Fi/i-5GMGMkj/0/L/IMG0430-L.jpg

So that means that my wheel aready has to fit slightly further back than it would if the QR was right up against the normal dash panel.

That's fine - I like my wheel there, but I'm concerned that if the Rapfix requires another inch or so, it might get too close to me.

• 8 years later...
Looking for a bit of advice on rear view mirror mounted dash cams and does anyone have any experience of them on a 7. ..Also led bulb upgrades for headlights and rear lights.. lol.. and finally QR steering wheel recommendations.. thanks guys in advance.. oops and girls!.

Had my Caterham version since 2001 - still works exactly as it should (ie most normal days in the work car park it is removed) no hassle lining it up and still as solid as it ever was - not sure why people have problems with it.