Click here if you are having website access problems ×

For our racers or track dayers

7Nut

I'm a bit *redface* *redface* *redface* *redface* about this but I reckon that's quite a clever set-up to accomodate the car, storage and sleeping bunks etc.

On a practical level though I'm not too sure about the situation legally with weight (we run 3.5t gvw panel vans at work and they are marginal weight wise just with plant and tools on board, let alone a complete car and spare wheels etc *eek*). A bit 'wussy' I know, but I'd be less than happy kipping in the back with the deposits of fuel, oil, brake dust etc. Although I suppose there's always some improvised leopard-skin rugs that could be reomved *smile* *smile*.

On a practical point of veiw Luton Transit's are normally just shi of the 3500kg gross weight with a net payload of around 1600kg, so would easily cater for a 540kg car plus 4 x 30kg additional wheels.

Good solution if it wern't for the leapard skin......

-----Q469 WET, 1990 Long Cockpit in Ali except for the red bits. Class 2 150 BHP Zetec. With a Dual Drive :-)CaterBram on Facebook

Ok, I stand corrected *thumbup*. Thinking about it these Lutons with lightweight (glass fibre) backs will have a significantly lower mass to start with compared to the Movano / Sprinter type panel vans we run, giving the opportunity of more payload- which I suppose is a Luton's raison d'etre in any case. Kind of comfirms what a neat solution this is (... bar the interior *eek*).

There are a few of these ex-BT vans around the paddock, although one was written off (put on its side) by a Hungarian truck last season. Car was well strapped down and suffered no damage.

It's a very neat solution (esp with 200bhp!) as you don't have to take the wings off like you do with a sprinter. I wouldn't fancy sleeping in it though - giant coffin anyone?

If you buy a second-hand van from auction, it would cost c. £4,000 including the conversion, so the price is pretty reasonable. Whether it's insurable at a sensible price with that lump in it is a different question.

Jez

I've been toying with the idea of buying a race van and saw that for sale on PH.

The missus has already commented how she 'doesn't want some huge filthy white van parked beside the house'

...I guess this particularly fine example would go down fairly badly then... *confused* 😬 😬

Yep, i just bought a peugeot boxer off fleabay for 2k. It is a high roof, lwb and the door is 1cm wider than the merc van, and boy they are Soooo much nicer to drive than a transit (OK maybe not a Cossie powered one).

Fortunately the Sylvas rear arches are narrower than the caterhams so no arches off for me!

Payload is 1.6T max, the car is under 500kgs so not really a problem. The beds are great in this one, i guess you might want to take the fuel out! Anyway after crimbo i will have my Minnho for sale is anyone is interested .....

Mark