Click here if you are having website access problems ×

misfiring xflow - not ignition....

Graham Sewell

Hi, my trusty old xflow has been misfiring for some time and I still have not found the cause - but I am not sure that it is the usual suspect.

Symptoms - car is fine for upto 10 miles then starts to misfire under heavy acceleration but can quite happily rev to 6000rpm if taken up gently (like where's the fun in that?).

I have had the car to the Seven's Workshop - Chris is a seriously top bloke - and all normal settings are fine on the carbs and dizzy and coil (just replaced it just in case). The spark plugs are a nice light grey colour with good gaps and no wear on either electrode.

What I did notice last night when I put the bonnet back on is that the air filters are very nearly touching the bottom of the hole in the bonnet. So I am wondering if, as the engine gets warm, the engine mount rubbers or the carb rubber bobbins soften slightly so that under WOT the filters touch the bonnet. This could cause foaming in the float chambers or lift the carbs off the Misab's causing an air leak.

Does this sound reasonable? In which case I need to replace the engine mounts (my current prime suspect). How tricky is that without removing the engine?

I missed all of last summer with this misfire (not much of a summer anyway) but would really like to enjoy the car this year.

Cheers,

Graham

------

Low tech luddite - xflow and proud!

It could be that the carburettors got lifted by the airfilter, you also need to look at the engine supports aswel or place a washer in between the engine support and the rubber mount to lift the engine enoug to clear the chassis.

Does the engine idle good ? how is the valve clearence and the position of the bolt i.e. do you need to srew the bolds all the way in or is there 7/8 mm left of tread.

it could be that the valves are not sealing enough anymore due to the lack of hardened seats.

Valve clearance are good and it has an unleaded head from Vulcan. Compression ratios are good and even. So am fairly happy with the internals for the engine. I was wondering about shimming the engine mounts.... So I might be heading in the right direction.

Cheers,

Graham

------

John,

Ignition is currently Aldon Ignitor in an Aldon calibrated ignition curve Lucas dizzy. Once the misfire starts, it is pretty much the same for the next 10 miles (20 mile test drive) and comes in only under heavy acceleration - possible pump jet issue but I would expect that would have started from cold.

Battery is fully charged and this is not the sort of misfire that I have had in the past with a broken alternator where the misfire got worse and worse until the car died in about 5 miles.

Cheers,

Graham

------

Hi Graham - I've had similar problems with the Alden...

Mine was caused by the Rev Counter being old, and causing a back-emf that fried the Alden.

I didn't realise this at fists, and changed the Alden only.

The second one lasted for only 4 weeks... (The first lasted 4 years before the problem occurred!)

Speedy Cables replaced the internals of the Rev counter for me.

Small Boy - with Loud Toy!

Co-founder of the BOG Club

See Eugene here

and see what I do here

Yep, I'm betting that's your problem!!!

It took me ages to sort this out - if you do a search back a few years (more than a few now) you will find my original thread about this...

But, a 15 year old rev counter will not be compatible with an Aldon - definite!

Sometimes the Aldons last for years, other time no time at all...

Talk to Aldon and Speedy Cables.

See Eugene here

and see what I do here

I had very similar symptoms. Car ran well for ten minutes, then started misfiring, progressively lost the ability to rev and finally died. 40 mins later started on the button and repeated the cycle.

The problem was traced to the brand new coil I had fitted. I changed back to the old one and all is fine.

1996 Super Sprint, live axle with clams

• Area Representative
Same as Eugene, Aldon worked for years then started to argue with the rest of the car. Went the way of Bestek system (based on Jag V12 coil, dizzy and black box = bombproof). He sells by ebay.

I had what I thought was a misfire last year through France. Changed the usual things, leads, plugs, dizzy cap but then found the real problem was the adjustable fuel restrictor. Took it off and everything was fine. When I dismantled it I found a bit of grit in it. Worth a try if you've got one fitted.

Have you checked the accelerator pump diaphragms in the carbs? they may be split causing a leaning or even fuel starvation during hard acceleration.

Jonathan

My Flickr

-----------------------------------

The rebuild has started :)

92 Supersprint, Ford LSD LA, RK AX Crossflow.

Hi

One of the posts suggested the old style tacho (assume it is a smiths type triggered by inductive pick up in series with the coil) could break the ignitor module. I find this hard to believe. Certainly the ignitor may result in the tacho not responding correctly -- but that is usually easy to modify. the Aldon ignitor , I believe, replaces the points in the distributor, and works on a similar principle to the points ( spark generated by current interruption in the coil) except that a transistor is turned off to get the spark and the trigger is by a magnetic pick up. The energy stored in the tacho pick up is small compared to that in the ignition coil so it is hard to see how the tacho could break the Aldon.

Not sure this helps much! just suspicious that the tacho was/is not the real source of the problem

best of luck

Bob

Hi Bob,

It is indeed true that the old tacho gauge can kill the Alden, and I had it confirmed by Alden and Speedy Cables... Speedy Cables replaced the tacho internals for me.

The problem is a back emf when the revs drop...

See Eugene here

and see what I do here

We are heading to Chris Wheeler on Friday for a set of mechanical adjustments/checks first - engine height (clearance of the filter hole), pump jets, float levels - anything that could cause fuel starvation.

Pray that this solves the issue - otherwise, I am looking at the Weber Alpha ignition management becuase if I am spending a coulpe of hundred on a new Ignitor and new/repaired tacho, knowing that my dizzy has a small amount of slack already, I may as well go 3d mapped for a couple of hundred more.

Cheers,

Graham

------