Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Mud flaps

S1MON

Uuuuhm..... I did think twice before I posted this question 😳

It's which is the better for me, crap lookin mud flaps or crap looking rear wings and water that flows in through the doors when it's wet.

Any ideas how to make mud flaps look sexy? 😬

Simon

DK57GWZ

I know it's not everyone's cup of tea etc, but I fitted mud-flaps to my aeroscreened 7 many years ago as most of the time it gets driven without sidescreens and it does prevent a reasonable amount of crap from flying up into the cockpit. Especially the driver's side when steering to the right *eek*.

I just bought a cheap £4.99 set from Halfords cut them down and attached them via bolts that were 'fibreglassed' onto the bottom of the cycle wing. It does the job for me, although to be honest they could do with being a bit lower, but I just can't be 🙆🏻ed to change them *rolleyes*.

Chris Alston

C7CAT 1800 Supersprint

R248 *tongue* ....and then I jumped in *eek*

No, this is a fairly hard rubber sheet. Got is from an industrial gasket suppliers.

I bonded BigHead M8 studs inside the cycle wings .... with a large perforated 30mm x 30mm square head so it has a big flat area full of holes for the 2-part acrylic adhesive to get a hold. Then bolted the rubber sheet to it with large 'penny' washers and nuts with plenty of loctite (or use nylocs). Don't try and over-tighten them, or you may crack the wing !

S1mon,

I assume you are talking about mud flaps on the front cycle wings (and not on the rear wings)? In my long-running build (not on the road yet), my man Nathan has just installed front flaps made from rally-car (neoprene?) mud flap material(obtained from a USA rally supplier). A very neat installation.

Send me a PM if you want photos.

The only caution I have heard is that if the flap on the exhaust side is too long, wind pressure may hold it against the hot primary and cause a nasty-smelling smoulder.

Alaskossie

I made them from a cabon fiber sheet that originally comes as a rear wing protector. My rear wings are CF, so I did not need to install the protectors. One sheet was enough for both guards. Drilled a couple of small holes in the front wings and used a pair of rivets and black plastic washers. They blend well with the front CF and stop most of the crap flying into the car. *thumbup*

Hard rubber sheet. It used to be used for the rear wing protectors on Lotus Sevens too.

It certainly helps keep the crud off the rear wings.Here are mine....

....and here

I'm strongly tempted to use the same stuff for the rear wing protectors.....stones will just bounce off rather than dinging stainless or chipping CF. Or would this be being unnecessarily sensible? *tongue*

Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds..ooooh hooo hooo!!...

😬 😬Abbey Road Time-Machine *eek* *eek*

Edited by - Unclefester on 1 Feb 2010 17:14:03