Click here if you are having website access problems ×

RON 95, or RON 98 fuel ?

RD

I run a CSR200 (2.3l Cosworth, 200bhp), registered 2005.

The original handbook is too outdated to be relevant, but the pdf handbook on the Caterham website states that the CSR (200 & 260) uses 95 Ron (minimum).

Question; assuming 95 RON is correct; anyone had problems, or use 98 RON? The car is used purely on road, no track use.

Rob

If you ever upgrade your engine and get it mapped on a rolling-road, I'd recommend sticking with 95 for practical purposes.

It's a pain in the neck in some of the further-flung bits of Scotland etc. - and a surprising amount of Western Europe - to have to either carry bottles of octane-booster or to really keep the beans down... ☹️

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester Racing

7s Ecosse™

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Myles, I agree; filling it up is hard enough as most forecourt pump fuel nozzles don’t fit into the filler pipe.

Similar problem as posted elsewhere on the forum. However I always carry the plastic nozzle part of a petrol can as an emergency. Takes a bit longer to fill up, but is quicker than walking.

Rob

Same as above in CSR200 have no problems with 95, BTW I have removed (actual got CC to remove at purchase) SVA flap from filler, now no problems with any pump, I believe it is pretty simple to do, there is a thread somewhere about it, will have a look and edit if found

found one of the many here

Tim

Edited by - tbird on 6 Sep 2009 22:55:46

Tim, thanks for the link. A very interesting link-thread.

I have examined the Aero cap and note that all 4 relieved lobes are the same sixe, ie there is not an extra relief at the 12 o’clock position. From the thread you posted, this looks like a reasonable job. However, the new/euro style filler nozzles with the additional knurled ring would still pose a problem I think.

As for the removal of the filler ‘flapper’, again do-able, but I am perhaps edging towards the safety conscious and may thank my luck stars one unfortunate day that I left the flapper in place ( an upside down moment, yikes).

As mentioned earlier the plastic hose from a plastic jerry can has been used, albeit at slow fill rate. I have now added the high tech. wire coat hanger to my itinerary to side the flapper out of the way on new style filler pumps.

Happy filling-up !

Rob

Dave, please ring Sharon Wilkinson @ CC Dartford on +44 (0)1322 625804 for a price inclusive of fitting, as I am sure she will ensure you get the right part

There was some confusion when they got the first batch of modified parts as they put them in the same bin as the un-modified parts.

If you take a cursory look at them both they look the same.

The latest ones fitted for IVA purposes even have a "tether" retaining the Aero cap.

Sigma SteVe

Edited by - Steve Cornford on 11 Sep 2009 14:53:11

--"As for the removal of the filler ‘flapper’, again do-able, but I am perhaps edging towards the safety conscious and may thank my luck stars one unfortunate day that I left the flapper in place ( an upside down moment, yikes)."---

RD, I doubt that the internal flapper-thingie will prevent much flammable stuff from running out in case of an upset. I understood that the annoying flap was installed primarily to prevent the use of improper filler nozzles, or to prevent siphoning of petrol out of the tank, or for some reason other than upset-proofing the tank.

Alaskossie

Thanks for all of your thoughts on the SVA flap merits. I have read some excellent threads on how to remove it, and plan to spend some of those winter hours removing it.

On the original thread of fuel; I will be continuing with 95 RON fuel as stated in the online owners handbook on the caterham website.

Rob

I believe it is entirely subjective on my part, as I have carbs + crossflow, so no EMS there to work out the fuel grade coming into the engine, but the car `seems to run much better if I use a 98, instead of a 95.

I guess the only way I could be sure, that it is just me `thinking' it goes better on 98, is to have someone else fill the tank, but not tell me what they put in , run the tank, and then re fill again without me knowing what was put in, and then see if I could detect any difference.

for road you can use 95 in a CSR

for trackdays use 98 in a CSR

For a crossflow use 98 road and trackdays

98 will avoid pinking in severe use as a trackdays.

In all my car I use 98 and I prefer Excellium or V pwer to standard 98

The consumption is less, the performance better

eric

Hi,

I think the ECU of the CSR is not able to adjust to the fuel quality because there is no knock sensor.

Hot weather (more than 30°C) is also a reason to take RON 98 /100 gasoline.

Best regards

Gerhard

Caterham CSR 200

MAZDA MX-5, NB, 1840ccm

Modern cars which are designed for 95 RON petrol won't run better on 98. HOWEVER, 98 RON petrol may well have a higher calorific value than 95 RON (it being "better" refined petrol with fewer nasty additives) and this will lead to either better fuel consumption or greater power.

I run all my cars on 98 - In my tintops I've road-tested it and believe it's worth about 5-8% better mpg. Which broadly means it doesn't cost me any more to put in V-Power.

In the Caterham, well, I race that and if it gives me 1 extra hp then it's worth it. If it doesn't, well, it's not losing me anything and the petrol cost is not the difference between being able to race and not being ...

Jez

Build Photos

A family member of mine is one of Shell's senior petro-chemical engineer. After discussing the issue with him, I now only use RON 95 in the 7!

The knock sensor point above is the main issue - the K series engine doesn't have one (don't know about the zetec or cosworth though).

Using RON 98 can actually give you marginally less performance, so in short you may be more than wasting your money!

Roadsport SV - Yellow/Black Stripe

Are you sure Bumble ?

I've always used 98 Ron Shell V-Power in my R400 K series from new. I've just checked in the Caterham owners booklet you get with the car and it says you should use unleaded 98 Ron.

I'm going to carry out a test and try a few gallons of each type and see if I can notice a difference.

Milo - R400 MGT

Photos here

Yes I'm sure BUT your sitation is different. DON'T change your fuel - stay as you are with the V-Power.

You should use the correct RON for what your ECU is mapped to. It sounds like your R400 is factory mapped using RON 98. However, my K series is factory mapped using RON 95 so I should stick with that. However, if I chose to have a rolling road remap, then I might choose to fill with 98 and have it mapped based on that and use 98 going forward.

The effect of the different RON is the amount of compression that the fuel can take before the optimum point to induce combustion (ie when the spark plug should fire). A knock sensor detects when the spark plug is firing sub-optiminally and adjusts things accordingly via the ECU. Therefore, in my A4 which does have a knock sensor, I can use either 95 or 98).

Does that help? Sorry if I didn't make it clear in my original post.

So what would the effect be in a tin top? (Mondeo st220)

With a knock sensor I'm guessing 98 ron would just give a bit more MPG?

The use of RON98 in your ST220, provided it has a knock sensor should give you more MPG but also more performance as it is a powerful highly tuned engine. Whether this extra is sufficient and worth the cost is your call!

FYI - my A4 is the TFSI engine which was specifically designed to use RON98 fuel. I can definitely notice the negagtive difference in performance and the loss of about 3 MPG when I use standard unleaded.