Click here if you are having website access problems ×

bushes

Nic Day

How do I know if I need to change my bushes?

At the autosport show I was chatting to the guys at powerflex about new bushes for my 96 car.

I dont think they have been changed ever. So how do I check and do you think it is a good idea to change them this winter

cheers

Nic

Events, Media, Video, Automotive Training

Nic, some one else spotted Autobush at Autosport Show.

Sooner they can offer full Caterham set the better. *thumbup* (sure a certain competitors site would give them all the guidance they need 😬). I'll drop him a mail.

I think I'll change to PU bushes when I strip front end down for recoating at end of year. My car is similar age to yours and certainly I felt benefit of a new A-Frame.

EN Yorks 7's

Hi David - that would be great

Seems a simple job - A frame and then the front, which I need to take apart as I want to change the braided brake lines aswell. Might aswell do it all together

You really need to lean on Autobush to get them to supply PU bushes for a seven.

Unfortunately I no longer have my seven however I bought a full car set of Autobushes for my Elan rebuild and the quality and price and service is superb.

By way of comparison their competitors are charging over £200 for a full Elan car set and Autobush charged me £63 inc delivery *eek*

Jono

I have a 97 car....should probably have new bushes!?

Going back to Nic's original question - are they a "nice to have" in that the ride will be a bit smoother and control more responsive?

Or are they a "must have" in that chassis or suspension components will be stressed too much if the bushes are worn out and not doing their job?

---

my mind is blank....

I fitted a full set of these to all the wishbones on my wifes Elise last October. They are extremely well made and the internal bore of the bush was crosshatched to help retain the special grease. To fit them was easy, you simply push the PU bush into the eye, grease the inside of the bush and then press the stainless sleeve in (actually pressing the sleeve in is a bit fiddly and requires a reasonable amount of finger pressure, use gloves or you get sore fingers). Think I paid about £110 but that was for an Elise - 16 bushes. On the road the car feels more taut and responsive and noise levels are the same. Good product.

just spoken to Doug from Autobush and as explained they dont make any for caterhams yet. But as I have told him about us and the potential interest he is going to have a look here (be nice everyone!!!)

He needs to get a batch of at least 1000 made up so will need some good orders.

Fingers crossed

Nic

I dropped a mail at daft o'clock last night to with a bit of my research. Excluding the ARB and A Frame centre only 3 types so that must keep things simple.

The main one (8 on a Dedion) B636/2 is documented here and wouldn't be suprised if matches one they already produce.

That link has quite useful info regards the technicality of bushes and the merits of various material types.

David

EN Yorks 7's

Looking at the website it would appear that they already have Y9,Y16 & B636/2 already in production.For my early de-dion chassis that would just leave the small diameter E2030 bush to produce. Due to the design variations over the years might it be easier to list the bushes individually rather than'de-dion front' etc?

Brian.

I bought a set of Powerflex bushes for the rear A-frame on my S3 DeDion, and was not impressed with the "jury-rig" nature of the Powerflex kit, compared to the bushes it was replacing. You had to figure out a combination of several loose metal and urethane pieces and washers to make up the width of the CC bush being replaced.

A set of well-engineered exact replacements for the CC-supplied parts, with urethane replacing the rubber, is what is needed. That sounds like what Autobush supplies.

I'd be up for a complete set.

Alaskossie