Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Sigma radiators

Old Git

I had a radiator replaced about 2500 miles ago under warranty - but now I'm getting the same old symptoms back. Slightly erratic temp fluctuations, car smells of hot radiator after a run, almost (but not quite) imperceptible loss of coolant. Can't give much of an idea of quantity, but about a third of a pint in 1000 miles. Is this normal?

If there is a fault I can't trace it. I know there's been a problem with Sigma radiators, but where do they fail? Matrix? At one of the braze-ons?

Tim N

Having had 4 radiators replaced under guarantee I can tell you that they all failed at the joint between the plastic header tank and the the metal body. There was little loss of coolant but it was obvious that they were leaking due to the coolant sprayed over the engine. The channel at the bottom of the header tank tends to fill with coolant and leave a mess both there and over everything behind the radiator.

I had 'the sigma problem' (sounds like a Robert Ludlum novel *smile*) and never quite sussed where it was leaking from. The symptom was easy to spot for me - coolant all over the place! I spent ages tightening up the hose clips but kept losing about an inch of fluid (measured at the expansion tank) on every drive.

The coolant dries white so it's easy to recognise (and a b'stard to clean off) but on mine tended to blow everywhere so it was hard to see where it was coming from. The bulk, however, was at the higher points so I guess it was coming from the join between the plastic 'top' and the aluminium body.

Steve

Edited for spelling and to say "Blast, beaten to it!!"

Edited by - Bellissimmo on 15 Dec 2008 20:07:40

Exactly the same fault with my rad at 1000 miles 😔. Replaced & (touchwood) no further problems in the last 3500 miles *thumbup*. About time Caterham lent heavily on the supplier of these dodgy rads to beef up the quality of manufacture or come up with a better design. What about an all alloy one instead of a plastic-alloy-plastic sandwich.

Also had the small black plastic Tee piece fail recently in the cooling circuit. It's had a slight weep for a while & I decided to "nipp" up the jubilee clips a bit more after a blat,only to have the darn thing fracture & spray me & the car with boiling antifreeze. *eek* Oh Rollocks I thought. I've made up my own mod with a 15mm copper tee piece & soldered in some short ends of copper tube. Just the job, & far more substanial than the plastic item *thumbup*

Edited by - Martin Jeffrey on 15 Dec 2008 22:11:11

Ditto from me

Leaking radiator x *mad* *mad* *mad*

After the third one blew, repaced it with the all metal triple pass.

Once the radiator goes, if you have topped the system up,and dried everything off, start the car and when all is warm, you will see water appearing around the seam where the black plastic top part is crimped to the the metal part.

What temperature is the radiator fan coming on at?

Sigma SteVe

Edited by - Steve Cornford on 16 Dec 2008 09:53:53

Ditto me also - Changed rad at the weekend. I waited for the fan to clickin before I established where the leak was. Sounds like the same problem that everyone else is having. The leak was where the ali crimps the plastic at the top of the RAD.I have 1300 miles on my Superlight SV Sigma 1.6. If there is a problem with the RADs I would hope CC would replace without charge, even after the warrenty date, as it would seem reasonable to do this given the amount of RAD recalls.

Given that CC read and post on BC, it's about time they gave you Sigma owners a bit of comfort, and responded to this post. Maybe someone affected wants to send a link to this page to the right person at CC, in case they haven't spotted the thread ?

I think it would mean a lot if they responded officially here.

Having a problem with an outsourced component is not uncommon (these days), but the way to show how good their customer care is - is the way they deal with the problem for their customers. A positive and effective response is excellent PR.

Good point Ian, although I must emphasise that I've had no issue with CC service, it's just the reliability/quality of those two components.

I can't believe Ansar is oblivious to these issues. CC is surely small enough for him to have received feedback from his team.

Shminky - the diff issue is with the standard diff which makes a deafening row when you get over about 20mph. I know a few people who have had this issue.

Steve

Edited to say, My replacement Diff and Rad are OK (on a so far,so good basis 😬)

Edited by - Bellissimmo on 16 Dec 2008 14:08:25

Shminky,

The diff problem is with standard diffs - they simply make so much noise that you can barely hear anything in your inboard ear for all the graunching and whistling and clunking. I'm still waiting for mine, waiting for the call...

Haven't had a problem (touch wood) with my plastic sarnie rad yet, but then I haven't checked. That said, it has been causing a funny smell, perhaps the coolant is leaking... I am going to check tonight though! Caterham can change that at the same time as the diff! What's the price difference between plastic and triple pass I wonder... *tongue*

John

Edit to say Steve beat me to it, I got distracted!!!

Bugsy: '82 2cv6 (Gearbox imploded )

Talloulah: '08 1.6K Classic (Tarnishing nicely ☹️)

Edited by - myothercarsa2cv on 16 Dec 2008 14:17:49

I agree with Bellissimmo - I have had good response from James Gibbson (CC Dartford) who I believe is aware that there is a problem with the Rads on the Sigma. Likewise CC should post on the forum in the same way that they did with the fuel gauge issue and provide a "feel good statement" to the Sigma owners. If there is a doggy production run on a car product then at least extend the warrently for that part. This would seem a reasonable thing to do.

Cheers for the update on the diff.

I haven't had the issue with the t-piece yet - although I did think it might be an easily perishable part.

My experience with CC service has been a little up and down. I added up the amount of times mine's been back in it's first year (it's on-the-road brithday is on the 19th) and I'm over 2 months at the moment... Mainly warranty and paint work. A service is included in that somewhere.

However, when the car does go in, things have gotten resolved in the end and the smile goes back on my face :-)

Now hoping to get the car back in time for it's birthday and an Xmas day blat...

-- Shminky --

Edited by - Shminky on 16 Dec 2008 14:49:25

Ref John's point and reflecting my views and the views of others who have had the Diff problem:

It would be a nice gesture from CC to support those who have had problems by offering an upgrade to LSD /all-metal Rad at a subsidised 'upgrade price'. I'm sure there are at least a few people who are fed up with returning their cars to have faulty parts replaced with similarly faulty goods and would welcome the option to upgrade to better quality (at the right price!!)

Steve

Yes your right Steve - When I had a problem with the RAD it took me a while to find the leak but in the meantime I decided to change the jubilee hose clamp in favor on Mikalor hose clamp, this being a better product and eliminating what I thought at the time was a leaking hose. Would be happy to pay for an upgraded RAD. Would also pay for a good cap to go on the break fluid reservoir as that always seems to leak no matter how tight it is.

Stephen Ward

SV Superlight Sigma 150

Still trying to get mine to 500 miles to put it on stands for first service but reading this again I just took the bonnet off and theres droplets of coolant all over the place. I've not been out for two weeks and the cars in a warm garage. Its a bit late for proper investigation now, that will have to wait while the weekend. Big issue will be if its a radiator fault my warranty run out last month because it took me so long to get the car built and on the road.

Tell the pessimist - CALM DOWN, CALM DOWN, CALM DOWN! ☹️

Edit - I knew I'd get it wrong, bloody pecimist!

Lardy Aztec Orange n Black

Edited by - adcatman on 16 Dec 2008 21:48:27

Hi,

Picked my Sigma up today from Cat Midlands having just had one of the new radiators fitted. They look exactly the same as old ones ie plastic and ali but Brett tells me the difference is, they have made a better job of pressing the plastic header to the rad.

Peter